Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these? (PHOTO INCLUDED!)
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: What are these? (PHOTO INCLUDED!) Reply with quote

What are these? Those levers between the seats, with the little red rubbers on them. What is the left one for? What is the right one for?

Justin Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat.

Labels are great huh?

Left one, to turn it on.

Right one, to adjust the temp, pull it, it gets hotter, not noticably, but supposively. Car has to be nice and warmed up and running before you get any heat whatsoever.

Basically, ask anyone they are there for decoration. However, I got my '78 Westy given some good heat, never know!
Josie_Aus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like heater controls to me... one opens and closes the front heater vents, the other operates the rear heater vents, (the ones under the back seat) Wink

(edit) oops, too slow! thats what they seem to do on my car anyway (aussie '72 notch)
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, thanks that's what I figured. But I have no idea where the heat is supposed to come from. I turn it on and mess with the temp... but honestly I cannot feel any air coming from anywhere. Where SHOULD the "heat" come from?

Justin Twisted Evil
Josie_Aus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine comes from vents just infront of the doors on the floor, and at the corners at the bottom of the windscreen..
Apparantly my car is meant to have levers under the dash on each side to adjust the level of heat going to these two areas, but theres no trace of them... maybe your car has them!
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever peeked at an owner's manual?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3.php

did you pull on the lever to see what happens? Type 3's actually have amazing heating systems... worlds ahead of Type 1's...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were seat ejectors Rolling Eyes

I've never used my heater.........didn't know it worked that well, cool....

San Antonio Air Coolers
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they work pretty good, just gotta clean those areas out every now and then or the first time you use them in the winter you get stanked out. My car has to get nice and hot before I can really feel the heat (usually about 5 mins or so) but thats because I have several holes in my heater hoses Smile
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car is hooked up correctly (heater boxes haven't been replaced by J-tubes or headers, heater elbows are connected to the fan shroud, hoses from the heater boxes to the heater channels are intact, heater channels aren't rusted out, control cables are connected) then you should be able to get great wads of heat within about a minute of starting your car. When we first put my daughter's square together all of the flaps didn't close off completely. She kept complaining that her feet were getting cooked. Surprised

Raise the right lever to control the amount of heat. Raise the left lever to cook the legs of backseat passengers.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareTone wrote:
If your car is hooked up correctly (heater boxes haven't been replaced by J-tubes or headers, heater elbows are connected to the fan shroud, hoses from the heater boxes to the heater channels are intact, heater channels aren't rusted out, control cables are connected) then you should be able to get great wads of heat within about a minute of starting your car. When we first put my daughter's square together all of the flaps didn't close off completely. She kept complaining that her feet were getting cooked. Surprised

Raise the right lever to control the amount of heat. Raise the left lever to cook the legs of backseat passengers.

had my first experience with this this past April on a roadtrip from Missouri to Ennis, TX: aggro joe kept playing with the levers and roasting my feet while driving through Oklahoma at midnight.... he couldn't believe the sheer amount of heat compared to the hamster-breath in his bug... thankfully the novelty wore off...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(if you have a 71 fastback like mine) you also have two knobs on the front of the door jams (just inside) that channel air from your feet to your defroster. Don't know if notches/squares have these.

don't remember if down or up is defroster. can check my manual if you need to know. Should be apparent.

If you really want to see how they work, pull the back seat and mess move them you'll see the cables move.

My heater in the FB works like a champ

robert
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
Basically, ask anyone they are there for decoration.

Obviously you've never had a type 3. With the heat on you can bake cookies inside.
Samba Member #4862
69fastbuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

Living in western Pennsylvania as a child my parents had a 54 bug then a double cab.I didn't know cars had heat untill we got a corvair with a gas heater.The type 3s an oven.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: