Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GEAR DRIVE SOUND
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: GEAR DRIVE SOUND Reply with quote

Hey i dont know if it would be bugs only, but i knew a guy years ago that all his engines had like a gear drive sound. any knowledge of this?
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just added "straite cut timming gears" to the motor. We used to do this back in high school in the late 80's. I am sure they make them for type3's but you will need to split the motor in half to get them installed.

Kevin
05 Tube frame rockcrawler
04 Mini Cooper S
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straight cut timing gears are available; I think BugPack makes a set... their value is questionable, however, in that other than making that cool noise, I have read that they have a tendency to wear quicker that helical cut gears...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
... their value is questionable, however, in that other than making that cool noise, I have read that they have a tendency to wear quicker that helical cut gears...

Yep. The helical cut provides a much larger surface area. That reduces the PSI on the tooth face - therefore slower wear. It also makes the tooth able to withstand a stronger force. That's why most industrial gears are either helical or herringbone, but it's immaterial in our application. The main advantage to straight cuts is that they eliminate the thrust load on the cam bearings. Kind of useful in high RPM racers.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareTone wrote:
blankmange wrote:
... their value is questionable, however, in that other than making that cool noise, I have read that they have a tendency to wear quicker that helical cut gears...

Yep. The helical cut provides a much larger surface area. That reduces the PSI on the tooth face - therefore slower wear. It also makes the tooth able to withstand a stronger force. That's why most industrial gears are either helical or herringbone, but it's immaterial in our application. The main advantage to straight cuts is that they eliminate the thrust load on the cam bearings. Kind of useful in high RPM racers.

Thats one reason I have them in my 2054cc Type 3 Motor. Strait cut gears do not force the cam and crank into the back of the case. The cam and the crank with the hex gears get forced backwards. Besides, I'll put strait cut gears in all of my motors from now on.
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcrl, I heard there is a shop or 2 for parts and woek in winters??? Yah thats the last i knew of that sound was in high school.
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the take on straight cut timing gears, does it effect the longevity of your engine, or not. the engine i plan to build it will probably b driven 35+ to be realistic. as cool as the sound is, just want to make sure going in the right direction. Arrow
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoLow-Square wrote:

Thats one reason I have them in my 2054cc Type 3 Motor. Strait cut gears do not force the cam and crank into the back of the case. The cam and the crank with the hex gears get forced backwards. Besides, I'll put strait cut gears in all of my motors from now on.

If you are using straight cut gears to avoid main bearing wear, then you need an automatic tranny too. Every time you push the clutch in, you are putting thrust on the #1 main. Funny thing is on all the hundreds of engines I have rebuilt, the automatics usually have very little wear on the #1 main thrust.

"71 Fastback automatic with over 100K miles on th engine and climbing.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: