Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Owner New to Squarebacks ...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gzaharatos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Bus Owner New to Squarebacks ... Reply with quote

I've had a 67 camper for a little over 3 years now, so I'm not new to old VW's. Now I am looking into buying a Squareback. I have a few picked out on this site that I am looking into.

Can I get any advice from you guys who own these cars already? I'm looking for something that is original, no bondo, etc. Something that I can drive during the winter months here in AZ to and from work. Is an 80 mile round trip too much to ask of a T3? Is it semi-comfortable to drive? Reliability?

I know how to work on the VW engines, so maintainence and repairs are not a problem.

I love driving my bus and while I would drive it everyday and it is reliable, it's not extremely comfortable (I've drivin it cross-country twice) and it is a constant effort to drive. Are squarebacks a little easier, little more comfortable?

Thanks for the input in advance.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Owner New to Squarebacks ... Reply with quote

gzaharatos wrote:
I've had a 67 camper for a little over 3 years now, so I'm not new to old VW's. Now I am looking into buying a Squareback. I have a few picked out on this site that I am looking into.

Can I get any advice from you guys who own these cars already? I'm looking for something that is original, no bondo, etc. Something that I can drive during the winter months here in AZ to and from work. Is an 80 mile round trip too much to ask of a T3? Is it semi-comfortable to drive? Reliability?

I know how to work on the VW engines, so maintainence and repairs are not a problem.

I love driving my bus and while I would drive it everyday and it is reliable, it's not extremely comfortable (I've drivin it cross-country twice) and it is a constant effort to drive. Are squarebacks a little easier, little more comfortable?

Thanks for the input in advance.

The T-3 is probably easier to drive than your bus, and a lot more comfortable. Cool I used to drive mine 55 miles one way (my wife's 70 Fastback), but that was a few years ago, before I changed jobs. Now it's more like 30 miles round trip, with a few errands tossed in. Very Happy But then this is on a car with unknown mileage (since it was rebuilt back in the early 90's), and is 36 years old (my 69), and most of the time carrying a bunch of stuff needed for work.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My squareback is a daily driver. I would say that in general they are more comfortable and easier to drive than a split screen bus.

Reliability with any old car is unpredictable. You can't know the cars history so there may be surprises. If you go throught the car thoroughly and make sure everything is in good condition it should be reliable. My car seems to be more reliable than most people I knows modern cars but I also am stringent about maintenance.

If you get a fuel injected car there is something else you will have to learn. It can be reliable but it is old and will require learning on your part. No, people who work on modern cars aren't likely to understand the FI either. It has some distinct differences from modern systems.

For a commuter I might opt for a fastback. The fastbacks I've been in seem to be quiter inside than other aircooled vws, exept for maybe hydraulic lifter busses. Squarebacks seem to be louder than splitty busses, fasties quieter. I've never been in a notch or type34 so can't say about those.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '73 Squareback is quieter than our bus and very comfortable to drive. It also gets much better mileage. I was lucky and found one in basically original condition that had been sitting for five years and just needed new fuel hoses and a new battery. I love the fuel injection, but I hear it can be a problem when it does break down. The great thing about Squarebacks is that you still get the practicality of room to haul stuff, but in a much smaller package than the bus. I would highly recommend these cars to anyone!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Owner New to Squarebacks ... Reply with quote

gzaharatos wrote:
Is an 80 mile round trip too much to ask of a T3?

I've made 800-mile round trips in my Squareback. It very comfortable to drive, handles well (even in a cross-wind on the interstate, unlike a bus), and can keep up with traffic no problem. As long as everything is in good mechanical condition you will not have any problems with it.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - the Type 3 is the most comfortable, easiest to drive for long distances ACVW... except maybe the 411/412?

anyway, way better than a beetle or a bus -- plus you will have heat when you want it....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gzaharatos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I appreciate the good words fellas. The SB that I am looking at has dual carbs, so I dont have to worry about the FI promlems.

I'm very stringent on maintainence as well, so I' glad to hear that as long as you keep the car in good shape they are mechanically sound.

I'll let you guys know if I land the car I'm looking for. It's right here on the samba, in New Mexico. I might make the trip up this weekend.

Thanks again guys, have a great Friday.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being basically the same as your bus the type3 is going to be as reliable as your bus or better. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

original dual carbs???

Yeah, baby!! best of luck with it. I'm hoping to see more balancing threads on the samba. I'm starting to get into it and it's alot easier. Either that or FI just scares the crap out of me.

John
65 square S (weezer)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: