Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Heater Channel Replacement
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
topnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Type 3 Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

hi,

I`m just starting to do this for the passenger side on my notch - whats the best way to do it - does anyone know of any type 3 specific online guides, etc?

i can`t take the pan off as i don`t have the room or facility, but have been led to believe that the floor pan is flexible enough to do it with the pan on.

the front quarter is fine, but the rear quarter panel has a bit of rot.

any help is appreciated,
cheers,
mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
x43x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Hello

The body shop finished up mine a few weeks ago. One thing I can recommend is to do a temp weld of some support across the door jams before cutting the channel out. You dont want the car to fold in half, or the door jams to get out of wack and your doors wont fit right. If you click on the link in my signature, you can see what the body shop did with mine. Removing the floor pan isnt necessary since the channel is bolted down for the most part. I dont really know a whole lot, just some observations and things I've read.

Robbie
topnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else got any more info?

cheers,mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple layers in there. The outer skin, and then a tube that the heat actually passes thru. I will look in the body manual later and see if I can scan a picture.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - cheers mate
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked, but they do not show replacing the rocker panel except as a part of the whole body side panel. I have the instructions for roof replacement, trunk floor, gas tank carrier, and just about any other body panel, but not the rocker panel.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that in the bentley? i checked in my copy and couldn`t find a section on the heater channel either -

vw obviously thought they were built to last! - mines lasted 40 odd years so i`ll let them off!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is in the BIG Bentley

nznotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the channels from? t3 detectives? i need to replace both sides on my 65 notch cheers - the pressing look like very good quality in the photos you posted.
frank2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently doing a rocker replacement.I removed the door and
welded in a heavy brace across the door opening.Then the saw zaw did
its thing!Take lots of measurements before you cut,(will save alot of grinding time later).Good luck.-Frank.. Very Happy
topnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nznotch wrote:
where did you get the channels from? t3 detectives? i need to replace both sides on my 65 notch cheers - the pressing look like very good quality in the photos you posted.

yep - i`ve got them from type3 detectives - not sure of the panel quality yt though as they haven`t arrived yet - i will let you know of the quality when i come to fit (obviously its alot cheaper for me to get them posted out as i`m in the UK.

in the meantime , i `ve discovered a new repair to be carried out on the front inner wing while i wait! - oh joy!

i`m taking loads of photos of this while i do it and will put them on a website as and when i go - i`ll put the address up when i get a hosting server sorted out.
mike
nznotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that - the wheel repairs are a good one - i have found that little peice of steel running down from the front bulk head to the wheel well always manages to trap water if not property sealed. nasty repair as its a complicated shape and sits over the top of all the front bulk head pressings. look forward to the photos - if they are good pressings, then i'll grab some - postage isn't going to be cheap though!
x43x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nznotch wrote:

Im not sure if you were refering to me or not, but yes I also purchased mine from Type 3 Detectives. I also got the rockers and pieces south of the rockers behind the rear fender. Oh, and the front bumper mount sections. It was pretty pricey for all the pieces and shipping, (I think it was $175-$200 for shipping) and the exchange rate was horrible, but I am very happy with how they went in. The only problem I see is the driver-side heater channel not having the groove for the electrical wires going to the back of the car. It shouldnt be too hard to hide with the carpet kit though. The rockers look great now that they're painted and the doors are hung. Since the channels and rockers were bare metal, I POR15ed ALL of the heater channels, and the backside of the rockers. Those bastards arent rusting out again.

I do know that ISP West has a rocker section available now, but I cant vouch for its quality. It would be much cheaper to get them from a US supplier though, and I think the ISP version includes the behind-the-rear-fender piece.

Here are a few pics. I didnt do the work and wasnt on hand so I only have before and afters. No in-betweens....

Peeled back rocker. You can see the metal piece between the rocker and heater channel. This piece is not included in the reproductions
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new rocker and channel installed

Passenger side with paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: