Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 65
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangaboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: My new 65 Reply with quote

A new endevor for me as I have always been an offroad truck enthusiast but as of late checking out the beetle craze. I blew the tranny up this weekend in Ocotillo wells and was left with nothing to do but drink. I am also looking for any great leads on a new heavy duty transmission with a swing axel set up and close 2nd to 3rd gear ratios for off road use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep abreast of my ride here http://www.bajaorange.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Orangaboom,
Where are located? Did you just recently buy your baja? I like it!
orangaboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes got it about 4 weeks ago and am still in the process of upgrading parts, mounts, interior etc. Took it for a spin this weekend to Ocotillo wells when the "ORIGINAL" tranny blew out the pinion gears. OIl leaked from the right boot like I shot it in the heart.

Can you help me with some good resources for a new tranny, preferably close ratio gears with a heavy duty core. I am new to the bug world so I need some guidance.

Thanks for the Kudos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to spend the $$ for a nice tranny convert it to IRS suspension. Go in the off road forum and do a search on it.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Orange,
As MeanIrish stated, going to an IRS set up will offer better wheel travel and more stability than a swingaxle set up, but it will cost you 3 times as much as just replacing the swingaxle tranny with a new one. For entry level into VW's, I'd stick with the swingaxle setup as they are easier to work on and more reliable than an IRS setup unless you're willing to upgrade to a bus tranny, heavy duty trailing arms, and Porsche 930 CV's. If you have any questions about your bug, feel free to PM (private message) me as I built that car from the ground up in 2000-2002. I see the guy you bought it from changed the rear bumper (it a had a matching double tube bumper like the front one when I sold it), added Beard seats, harnesses and running lights. Otherwise it looks the same as it did when I sold it. If you want a GREAT quality tranny built for you, call Kevin at KCR Transmissions in Riverside 909-688-1904. He builds trannys for everthing from off road, to street or drag racing. My tranny I bought from him works perfect.
orangaboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much you guys, although I know I said I am new to this I do have some experiance in the ins and outs of the swing vs. irs. I am sticking with swing as I have a way to eliminate some of the wheel tuck on high flight. Also your right I do want to keep a simple and low budget for this build out. I was not prepared for this tranny deal but now I have to work with it. Anyway thank you for your input on the Riverside deal I am going to call them in the am. I managed to get the engine off which you can see in my website gallery and was on the way to pulling the drums for the break cables so I could remove the transaxels and the transmission in one fail swoop when I ran into the dreaded 250 ft/lb of tourque cap nut. Sheeze mang this is a bitch. I have to tow to the shop in the am to get it removed so I can continue with my work.

I have a type 2 bus tranny in it now which I found out when I was removing the engine. It is a straight shift vs, the side shifter which I want to maintain for less mods. I will keep you guys posted and thanks again for the input. Oh yeah the bumper was changed in the rear which I will change again to run through the firewall and connect to the roll cage, the engine cage was made from light steel tube, I am upgrading it to 1 3/4" dom tubing
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold your baja it had a stock 61-66 type 1 bug transmission in it. If you're going to stay with swingaxle, I have a pair of 67 axles and tubes that will add 2" width to your track. It really helps with stability. I'd sell them for $50 if you're interested. Also, before you pay for a costly tow to your local shop, consider buying a tool called an axle whacker, sold at all the air cooled VW stores. It is a big chunk of iron with a cut out for the axle nut and a striking area where your smack it with a 5lb sledge hammer. It costs less than $15 and works every time. For a little more, there is a great tool called the torque-meister, which has an adaptor that bolts to the brake drum using you lug nuts and a device that mounts on that converts 25 lbs of torque to almost 300lbs. It works to remove rear drum nuts as well as the gland nut that holds on your flywheel. Certainly a tool worth investing in.
orangaboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in seeing or at least speaking to you about the axels. Also was this your bug? persdonall?
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I owned your baja before. I did a total restoration on it in 2000-2002. It was painted in my dad's garage, new interior, wiring, cut and turned front end, new king and link pins, all new brake system, rebuilt 1600cc single port motor, new lights, handles, shocks, gauges, alternator, carb, fuel pump, starter, repolished Centerline wheels, etc... I should dig up some of the before pictures of what it looked like before I began. Pretty nasty.
orangaboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that would be unreal if I could add that to my gallery on my site http://bajaorange.com. If you could find them I would appreciate that.

Well I have a new engine in it, an 12 volt 1835cc which explains the reason for the ground inner bell housing and the bolt holes cracking. The tranny core is worthless at this point as the tranny mount is cracked in half and the bell housing is wacked now, soooooo

I guess I am going to simply put out for a new one. I still need to talk to your connection in Riverside first. I spoke with the guys at Rancho Transmissions and they quoted 950.00 for a built with close 3rd and 4th welded gears.

So about those axels, will I need to purchase new tubes to make them fit? or what else is involved to make it a clean transition.?

JM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: