Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sound like a misfire
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: sound like a misfire Reply with quote

i'm currently having a problem with my 71 squareback. it's a 1600 dp engine with dual carbs, solex 32's. it idles fine but, spit and sputters when i give it any gas. i read some where the accelerator pump might be the problem. well my pump but have some crud in it. i've checked everything i could think of. ajusted valves, points, timing, idle screws, checked plugs and wires. could a weak coil be the problem? it seems as if the problem is only the 1 and 2 bank of cylinders. so i keep going back to that carb on that side. i've taken it apart 4 or 5 times the past couple of days and i can't seem to find anything wrong. thank you for any help.
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you found crud in the fuel pump, have you checked if you have an inline fuel filter which may be partially clogged? For that matter have you checked where the fuel line comes out of the tank and the tank itself to make sure it is not full of gunk. How about your intake/exhaust any leaks? Finally have you checked to see if any of your vaccum lines (to distributor) do not have any holes.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you found crud in the pump, you probably have crud in the carbs. You may need to remove them and clean them out. A good way to check is to unbolt the top of one and see if there is crap in the bottom of the carburetor bowl.

Look at the accelerator pumps while you rev the engine. Are they leaking? If they are, this could cause the problem you have.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there is crud in the fuel lines, i replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out both carbs. there are not vacumn lines since i run a 009. i can't place any intake or exhaust leaks. as the title says it sounds like a misfire to me or like i got someplug wires mixed, i've checked these and will recheck them. i just noticed the carb that i suspect is missing a pin. on the upper part of the carb there is a hole which connects to the accelrator pump on the other carb the hole i sealed off. even when i block this hole i still have the same problem. so i don't know if thats the problem or just a different problem.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a cut away view of the T-3 32 pdsit carbs.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3439
Sounds like you may have an accelerator pump nozzle missing.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the correct carb but, where is the accel pump nozzle? what i am talking about is on the upper half of the carb facing the outside, if looking at the engine from the rear. if i am missing the accel pump nozzle where can i aquire one or can one be fabbed up. i'll post pics later when i get home in a couple of hours. i feel i might need a different set of carbs, that's alright these ran for many years with little to no problems.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
that is the correct carb but, where is the accel pump nozzle? what i am talking about is on the upper half of the carb facing the outside, if looking at the engine from the rear. if i am missing the accel pump nozzle where can i aquire one or can one be fabbed up. i'll post pics later when i get home in a couple of hours. i feel i might need a different set of carbs, that's alright these ran for many years with little to no problems.

In that picture iit is item 13 shown next to the choke butterfly. That cut away is kind of deceiving since they had to show ALL the pieces and passages.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a pic, at the top of the carb, just below my screwdriver blade there is a hole. on the other carb this hole is plugged. this hole can be seen on the outside of the carb. i tried to post a pic i hope it works. i may need to figure out how to post a pic. [img]http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/mmps/RECIPIENT/000_02686515f73e1012_1/2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=3300&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&border=2,255,255,255,1,0,0,0,0[/img]
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after a few days with my squareback i bought some new carbs those weber ict's. the continued to do the same thing idle okay as soon as i give it some gas it sputters and back fires. i checked and rechecked ever thing again. well i let it run for twenty minutes at idle. then all of a sudden i heard it . what did i hear? sound like a clunking kinda speratic. i looked under engine and saw oil pouring on to the ground. man, wow i got a more serious problem on my hands. so...i new a new engine, and i just spent closer to 5 than 4 hundred on those carbs. well anyway my solex 32's will be on sale soon.
grantndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i put those new webers,coil, and the distributor on my other squareback since that one now needs somework. and i had the same problem as i did when i first posted this. again i checked and rechecked everything. i broke out the multimeter to check everthing. one thing i didn't test was the condinsor. i let the car idle at night and checked to see if i could see and spark anywhere. and the condinsor was shorting out against the coil mount. replaced the condinsor and now i'm all good. sounds like a misfire turns out to be the condinsor.
VooDooGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are saying you are still selling the Solex carbs if so I sent you a PM I'm apperantly in the market for some. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: