Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is this underdash vent thingy? is it a heater or a/c??
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: what is this underdash vent thingy? is it a heater or a/c?? Reply with quote

hey, anybody ever seen one of these? i don't know if it's a heater or an air conditioner. it's got an aluminum element w/ fins inside and what looks to be an in/out connection for fluid. i dunno what you'd run through it... oil or atf??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an AC dash unit.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh... cool, thanks russ. so this may be a dumb question, but what hooked up to those fluid ports?

personally, i think it'd be nice to make it into a heater. it's damn cold up here in boston!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If you had a warm water source, you could make it a heater.
Those were the freon lines that connected there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you could (safely) connect the line from the atf cooler? or might you have a problem with the pump and pressure since it'd have to pump it kinda far?
jw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think youd be better off selling the unit to someone in a hotter climate, then taking the money and buying an electric heater or 'made for your car' gas heater like the eberspacher (sp). here is a link for a similar style NOS unit for a type 3.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=231668
some say they are unsafe, because they use fuel straight from the tank, but i dont see how its any less safe the running large amounts of hot oil through a system built for freon.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has an AC expnsion valve inside it that would have to be removed.
Beside, VW automatic does not have an ATF cooler.

drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, no cooler - i meant pump... but it's probably better not to try that anyway. i think selling it is the best bet.

the type3 autos still have the same oil/atf pump as type1 autos, right? i started converting a beetle dual port automatic motor to run in a manual and it had an atf pump as part of the oil pump unit.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jw wrote:
i think youd be better off selling the unit to someone in a hotter climate, then taking the money and buying an electric heater or 'made for your car' gas heater like the eberspacher (sp). here is a link for a similar style NOS unit for a type 3.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=231668
some say they are unsafe, because they use fuel straight from the tank, but i dont see how its any less safe the running large amounts of hot oil through a system built for freon.

Electric heaters for VW's are crap and don't work. Fuel is more flamable and explosive than oil.
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3's don't need help with heating anyway - unless you're planning to use one for cremations.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they may need help with heating if you don't have the heater boxes connected Wink (mine are connected at the moment, for the record)
TheBeachBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem like a simple question to those T3 gurus out there, but me being an almost VW virgin, I'm not sure:
How would you retrofit an A/C unit such as that to a fuel-injected '72, if possible?

I live in AZ and it would be nice to have A/C in this warm clime.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBeachBoy wrote:
This might seem like a simple question to those T3 gurus out there, but me being an almost VW virgin, I'm not sure:
How would you retrofit an A/C unit such as that to a fuel-injected '72, if possible?

you would need ALL the bits for it - compressor, AC radiator, coolant lines, interior AC unit.... then fit it all in....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBeachBoy wrote:

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/GH/index.htm
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivingpenguin wrote:
right, no cooler - i meant pump... but it's probably better not to try that anyway. i think selling it is the best bet.

the type3 autos still have the same oil/atf pump as type1 autos, right? i started converting a beetle dual port automatic motor to run in a manual and it had an atf pump as part of the oil pump unit.

No. The ATF pump for the type 1 autostick is external, driven off the engine oil pump. Type 2's and 3's have a full auto transmission, with an internal pump (located at the front of the transmission).
Samba Member #4862
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: