Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion arm HELP!!!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Hops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Torsion arm HELP!!! Reply with quote

I'm trying to lower the front of my car (I've read the FAQ and I have removed the retaining tab and grub screw). Torsion arm is bare.

The arm is not budging. I used a puller and PB blaster and it still won't budge.

What gives??? Has anyone hade a problem like this and can anyone help me out?

-Brian
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean, you can't pull the arm off the torsion bar?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I have found to remove stubborn arms is to soak it in the PB, then pull on the arm with one hand while smacking the side of it with a dead-blow hammer. After about 15 minutes of this it should move outward about 1-2mm. Soak it down some more PB, then use the hammer to drive the arm back in place. Repeat this about 4 to 10 more times and it will come off.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm HELP!!! Reply with quote

Brian14 wrote:
I'm trying to lower the front of my car (I've read the FAQ and I have removed the retaining tab and grub screw). Torsion arm is bare.

The arm is not budging. I used a puller and PB blaster and it still won't budge.

What gives??? Has anyone hade a problem like this and can anyone help me out?

-Brian
I have lowered dozens of type 3's I haw NEVER had that problem ok not to sound like an ass but did you unbolt the keeper on the lower arm if it is dirty and covered you may miss it again not being an ass just checking

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never was able to remove the lower torsion arm on a '68 square I used to own. This car was from Florida so I think it was rusted solid. I tried the factory puller & broke it. I banged it with a 8lb sledge hammer with no luck. I gave up & sold the car. I have worked on many since then & all have been a snap.
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you cant get the arm off the torsion bar itself, theres an alternative thats just as effective. unbolt the bolt on the opposite side of the side you are working on, the bolt is right above the lower arm. this will unbolt the whole arm and torsion bar from inside the tunnel,

Then, lower it by feel, each spline will lower it ~2" from memory, vs the outer splines which you were originally trying which are about ~2.5" per spline.

for me, it was much easier to do it this way.

-Ryan
Peter Hops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice guys!

I'm going to soak it with more PB today and try again later. I think I may end up doing what 73 notch said though.

The bolt with tab above the lower arms. What are they for? and should I have both sides out before I try to remove either arm?

-Brian
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try heating the area with a propane torch. Don't use acetylene, as it may destroy the factory heat treating of the trailing arm
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bolt actually bolts into the other end of the torsion bar, so in effect you will lower it by turning the inner splines instead of the outer splines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: