Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stalling issues
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hovernearfame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: stalling issues Reply with quote

So. I have a 1970 squareback fuel injected automatic, and as of lately its been stalling on me. Itll start but it wont stay running without constant stepping on the fuel pedal and even then itll just go out. I tought at first that it might be a fuel starvation issue seeing as how that’s what it felt like and I had just replaced the fuel pressure regulator and I tought perhaps the pressure was off. But when it kept acting up I took it to the shop where after a week they were about as stumped as me. They changed the temperature sensor and spark plugs and did all the tune up and adjust things I did but no dice. They say it has to do with the wiring harness…? Has anyone had any similar problems, could it be something else. What should I do? And if it is the harness where could I find one, or would I have to get the whole FI system . im completely clueless as im new to vws and my type 3. any help , comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated Confused

maria
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find another shop. They are as clueless as most mechanics are about the D-Jet FI system. The fuel pressure regulator probalby was good. I have rarely in 40 years seen one go bad. You could have a sticky Aux air regulator.
Check the charging system. A bad voltage regulator will make the FI sytem go goofy. Should be 13.5-14.5 volts at about 1/3 throttle.(2000-2500 rpm).
Check all the normal tune up items, like plug wires, cap and rotor. Wires should measure with an ohm meter about 1000-2000 ohms. the rotor should measure about 3000 ohms. Point dwell should be 48-52 degrees and steady at all rpm's.
Check for vacuum leaks.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hovernearfame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had changed the pressure reulator because it was leaking. thank you for the suggestions, ill get on that straight away and let you know what happens
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: