Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

welding pop outs
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: welding pop outs Reply with quote

I read alot of post's and still can't find anyone repairing this. Where my pop outs screew into the body is rusted bad . If someone has done this and can give tips or PIC'S. I need to do this soon. Or somone that can repair for me for cheeeeep let me know..............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: welding pop outs Reply with quote

djporsche wrote:
I read alot of post's and still can't find anyone repairing this. Where my pop outs screew into the body is rusted bad . If someone has done this and can give tips or PIC'S. I need to do this soon. Or somone that can repair for me for cheeeeep let me know..............

If you are refering to the screws in the back on the rear sail, just install the window at the hinge point, then close the window as if it was latched. At this point you should be able to put the latch portion in the correct locked postion to find the location for the new holes. IIRC type 3's had nuts welded behind the sail for the screws, on mine I just welded a flat piece of metal and used sheet metal screws instead of threaded ones. Also when drilling the holes, use a shorter drill bit so you don't dent the outer panel. Hope this helps you.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps alot . I think im going to just use sheet metal screws also. Do remimber what size bit for the holes?
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djporsche wrote:
Helps alot . I think im going to just use sheet metal screws also. Do remimber what size bit for the holes?

It's just me, but I always start with a 7/32" bit, find the screws needed first before drilling the holes. The screws you use should take no more that a 1/8" bit. That is why I start with a small bit at first.

German Folks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: welding pop outs Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
djporsche wrote:

If you are refering to the screws in the back on the rear sail, just install the window at the hinge point, then close the window as if it was latched. At this point you should be able to put the latch portion in the correct locked postion to find the location for the new holes. IIRC type 3's had nuts welded behind the sail for the screws, on mine I just welded a flat piece of metal and used sheet metal screws instead of threaded ones. Also when drilling the holes, use a shorter drill bit so you don't dent the outer panel. Hope this helps you.

Yup, this is how I did my 65 Notch's rear latch mounts. There is actually a piece of flat metal (don't ask how I know Surprised ) that gets tapped for some machine screws, but sheet metal screws will work too. I used some nice stainless steel sheet metal ones there, so they wouldn't rust, and in case I wanted to remove them at a later date. Wink Start with a smaller bit than you need, and work up to what you need. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help....i'll try to post some pics when im done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: