Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierreDeKat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

I just wanted to document the seatbelt bolts in my 68 Beetle for the benefit of anybody searching the archives in the same situation I was in: trying to purchase bolts to fit the existing threaded seatbelt studs.

For reasons unknown to me, these bolts are not metric; they're threaded SAE 7/16-20 -- that's a fine thread 7/16 inch bolt. All of the threaded seatbelt inserts are threaded this way: four behind the backseat, two on each door column, and two holding the seatbelt levers between the front seats.

VW may have used this fastener because of some sort of deal with Repa, the manufacturer of the OEM seatbelts during this time. Who knows; they just did it that way, in 1968 Beetles, and I'm sure several other models and years of Volkswagens around that same time period.

Here is a picture of an original door column bolt, alongside an original nylon washer that allows the seatbelt cleats some freedom to automatically adjust for the least slack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You probably won't be able to find a shoulder bolt like this one at your local hardware store, but they usually carry a 7/16-20x1 inch bolt that's fully threaded, and you might get lucky and find a little 7/16 ID cylindrical piece to act as the shoulder part of the bolt.

Keywords: Repa seat belt lap belts seatbelt seatbelts bolt thread threaded threading size non-metric SAE screw fastener nut weldnut anchor shoulderbolt 2-point 3-point retractable harness
randydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

thank you for noticing the lack of interest in original bolts very helpful I also know porsche used them also
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

There was an agreement long ago from the manufactures to use this bolt I think it crosses over to metric.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
There was an agreement long ago from the manufactures to use this bolt I think it crosses over to metric.

I used USF 7/16-20 when I installed retractable belts in my 1971; Internet search shows this to be the agreement size, like agreement on 14mm and 18mm spark plug threads, and 13, 14, 15 inch wheels even on our old beetles.

Some have claimed that an 11mm metric thread will fit; good luck finding those, you'll be older than our VWs by the time you try those.

Recommend USF 7/16-20, get from a seat belt company or elsewhere if you need ones with shoulders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Some have claimed that an 11mm metric thread will fit; good luck finding those, you'll be older than our VWs by the time you try those.

11 mm x 1.25 thread.

It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

11 mm x 1.25 thread. - It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

X1, X2, X3

Yes you can get a 7/16" bolt to work, but it ISN'T THE RIGHT BOLT. Take a look at the very bottom of this thread, and I mathematically walk you through the difference.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554235&highlight=

VW NEVER used an SAE thread anywhere on our cars.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

Absolutely agree! I bought the eBay Hummer seat belts and wasn't 100% satisfied with the fitment of the included bolts. I looked at every import car in the junkyard (with no impact damage, think about that) and took multiple seat belt bolts with several different lengths and shoulder dimensions. Y'all are right, a regular hardware store doesn't have the bolts we need to mount the seat belts up!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
w.mainhotrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

For reasons unknown to me, these bolts are not metric; they're threaded SAE 7/16-20 -- that's a fine thread 7/16 inch bolt. All of the threaded seatbelt inserts are threaded this way: four behind the backseat, two on each door column, and two holding the seatbelt levers between the front seats.

This is true on my 72 super..I tried to size a bolt to get a new one and no metric would work. I found this thread and guess what he is correct...
1969 beetle-project #2 started 3/1/20-back on the road!!!
1972 super beetle-project #1 on the road!!
2002 Jetta 1.8T (son's college driver)
2001 JETTA 1.8T sold
1970 beetle-sold 2009
1963 beetle-sold 2009
1964 bus-sold 2009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

w.mainhotrods wrote:

This is true on my 72 super..I tried to size a bolt to get a new one and no metric would work. I found this thread and guess what he is correct...

This topic of SAE threaded bolts in an otherwise metric vehicle caught my interest. I did a little research and found this copy of the Safety Standard 209 which was originally described the 1967/1968 US seat belt hardware requirement:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.209
Quote:
(f) Attachment hardware. A seat belt assembly shall include all hardware necessary for installation in a motor vehicle in accordance with SAE Recommended Practice J800c (1973) (incorporated by reference, see § 571.5). However, seat belt assemblies designed for installation in motor vehicles equipped with seat belt assembly anchorages that do not require anchorage nuts, plates, or washers, need not have such hardware, but shall have 7/16-20 UNF-2A or 1/2-13 UNC-2A attachment bolts or equivalent metric hardware...

I couldn't find an original 1968 version of the 209 standard. I'd be interested in seeing if the original version made allowances for metric fasteners?

As mentioned above, 11mm x 1.25 is nearly identical in diameter and thread pitch to 7/16"-20. So if a manufacturer were to use an "equivalent metric hardware" fastener to meet the US requirement they would choose 11mm even though it is a very uncommon metric size bolt. Sure they could have used a larger bolt (like the more common 12mm x1.25 which is closer to the 1/2" requirement), but that would cost more $$ in materials. VW wasn't averse to special threading as evidence by LH threaded fasteners in the front suspension.

Interestingly, VW was installing seat belt anchors into the early 60's Beetles. Someone mention having seat belt anchors in their '65 Beetle. These too were 7/16" or 11mm. It makes you wonder if the 1967 US standard was based on work already done in the auto industry, or if the US published a guideline before 1967 that VW proactively implemented?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Good luck trying to find any 11mm bolts !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

My understanding is that VW did use non-metric threads for seat belt mountings as that thread pitch a universally accepted standard for seat belts. Thread size is 7/16" UNF.

My '68 Euro beetle RHD Australian delivered beetle came with front seatbelts as law here in Australia. The bolts are definitely 7/16" UNF, not metric.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Here's an explanation from

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-631539--.html

Metric threads are allowed only if "equivalent" - IIRC, the US 'forced' all other countries ot follow this spec. due to market size, etc. I'm sure there is an ISO on it.

US Dept ofTransportation : Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
section 571.209

(S4.1)(f) Attachment hardware. A seat belt assembly shall include all hardware necessary for installation in a motor vehicle in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice J800c, “Motor Vehicle Seat Belt Installation,” November 1973. However, seat belt assemblies designed for installation in motor vehicles equipped with seat belt assembly anchorages that do not require anchorage nuts, plates, or washers, need not have such hardware, but shall have 7/16-20 UNF-2A or 1/2-13UNC-2A attachment bolts or equivalent metric hardware. The hardware shall be designed to prevent attachment bolts and other parts from becoming disengaged from the vehicle while in service. Reinforcing plates or washers furnished for universal floor, installations shall be of steel, free from burrs and sharp edges on the peripheral edges adjacent to the vehicle, at least 1.5 mm in thickness and at least 2580 mm 2 in projected area. The distance between any edge of the plate and the edge of the bolt hole shall be at least 15 mm. Any corner shall be rounded to a radius of not less than 6 mm or cut so that no corner angle is less than 135° and no side is less than 6 mm in length.

http://cfr.regstoday.com/49cfr571.aspx#49_CFR_571p209
and
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j800c.1973.pdf
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

I thought this was a DEAD topic. Did anyone even click on my previous link where I mathematically showed the similarities and differences. My 92 year old dad opened the first VW / Porsche shop in the region (1958). In fact a ACVW has been my only form of a daily driver for my 42 years of driving, and VW never,ever, ever used a SAE thread for ANY application.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I thought this was a DEAD topic. Did anyone even click on my previous link where I mathematically showed the similarities and differences. My 92 year old dad opened the first VW / Porsche shop in the region (1958). In fact a ACVW has been my only form of a daily driver for my 42 years of driving, and VW never,ever, ever used a SAE thread for ANY application.

Not interested in arguing that point, but I wonder if it is anything like pipe threads in Japan?? While I was living there I had to do some minor toilet plumbing work around the house... when I went looking for some plumbing fittings I was surprised they only came in odd metric sizes (sizes may be wrong as I’m pulling this from memory):
    12.5mm = 1/2”
    16mm = 5/8”
    19mm = 3/4”
    25mm = 1”

When I mated them with some spare US SAE NPT threaded fittings they matched perfectly. It was apparent to me that (for the things I was working on) the Japanese had just manufactured some SAE sized pipe fittings and labeled them their metric equivalents. In some cases the fitting had both a metric and SAE size stamped into them. This was the big give away. Technically, the parts were all metric sized.

So it makes me wonder if 11mm-1.25 is just a VW (or European manufacturing) way of using 7/16”-20 hardware in a metric production environment?? Obviously a “7/16 inch” part would be very confusing to German worker used to metric sizes, but an “11mm” part would not. If the difference in the measurements are within the allowable tolerance, are they essentially the same part with a different label?

Maybe I’m just over thinking this whole thing. If nothing else it is an interesting background story to our cars. Very Happy
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Carlosb13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Very useful topic! Thank you for posting. We were struggling to get the correct size bolts for the threads on the spine between the seats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: