Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New German Muffler
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: New German Muffler Reply with quote

Is $245 a decent price to pay for a new German type 3 muffler? The damper pipe, tip, and hardware is included; however, the upper heat exchangers are not.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a little high myself. If it had the upper heat exchangers, it might be worth it. Rolling Eyes I did pay $100 for a NOS t-4 muffler with gaskets. Shocked I've seen them advertised for less in the Classifeds, but sometimes they sell quickly. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record I'm not talking NOS or the T4 conversions. Supposedly German t3 mufflers are back in production Cool
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought you were asking about that NOS t-3 muffler that's advertised in the Samba classifieds. Just something to think about, the metal of the newer versions might be a little thinner, and the quality might not be as good. That being said, CIP has new t-3 mufflers with the tip welded in place, and eliminated upper heater boxes for $139.95 (vwc-251-061-falt). They also sell a replacement OE style t-3 muffler (without the tip or upper heater boxes) for $159.95 (vwc-311-251-061-f), but it's for a 72 to 74. Rolling Eyes The preference though is for the older german mufflers, due to the quality of the metal used in them, and the fact that they are a tuned muffler. Finding good upper heater boxes is the real problem, and Russ has a great solution for the NLA copper gasket used to bolt them to the muffler. Cool
My Notch is running an older german muffler that I got in a parts car (it was never used), but it didn't have the tail pipe. I used a section of Harley Davidson pipe on it for my tail pipe. It's chrome, and gives a slightly different (a little louder) sound than a completely stock muffler set up does. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vintagespeedwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check my ad, i have a set WITH uppers for WAY cheaper than that, mild surface rust from sitting on the shelf 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Muffler Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
Is $245 a decent price to pay for a new German type 3 muffler? The damper pipe, tip, and hardware is included; however, the upper heat exchangers are not.

I usually sell the mufflers for $100 with no uppers or exhaust pipes.
Exhaust pipes are $30-$40.
Upper heat exchangers are hard to find sometimes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New German Muffler Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I usually sell the mufflers for $100 with no uppers or exhaust pipes.
Exhaust pipes are $30-$40.
Upper heat exchangers are hard to find sometimes.

Yes, I grab every upper heat exchanger I see, if I dont get outbid on them.
To those people putting the tuned exhaust, over the top systems on their cars, I will buy your upper heat exchangers. Just cut them off below the nut next to the muffler, and I will worry about getting the nut out.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: