Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thinking about notchback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raleigh3dflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: thinking about notchback Reply with quote

I have a bug now and I'm thinking of getting a notchback.. how do they compare as far as the difficulty to work on... are the pancake motors harder to work on than the type 1's?

I've seen somew/type 1 motors in them but have heard thats not good to do due to overheating.

I have about 4k to spend, will that be enough to find a pretty decent notch... notl ooking for a super early one.. want disc breaks...

Thanks guys for the info
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notchbacks are just as simple to work on as Beetles. The motor is basically the same but has different cooling tins and other external parts are in different locations. If you're not afraid to work on a Beetle, a Notch won't be a problem, except for locating some hard to find parts, but with $4000 you should be able to get a nice complete one.
raleigh3dflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how true is this tale of not using upright type 1 motors??? I read that its not good but I've found so many with the upright 1776 in them...

What is the verdict here?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raleigh3dflyer wrote:
Just how true is this tale of not using upright type 1 motors??? I read that its not good but I've found so many with the upright 1776 in them...

Don't. Why mess with something superior to the upright engine?
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
raleigh3dflyer wrote:

Don't. Why mess with something superior to the upright engine?

Icy's right. Nothing but an overheating nightmare. Go pancake or don't go T3 at all. The VW engineers knew what they were doing.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus you lose trunk space and I think you have to do some cutting to fit the fan shroud in.
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Icy's right. Nothing but an overheating nightmare. Go pancake or don't go T3 at all. The VW engineers knew what they were doing.

I would have to agree. I hate upright motors in a type 3. IT’S ULGY. And it should bring the value down. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you're going to change engine sizes, go with a type 4 engine. It'll fit under the floor of a Notch, Square or Fastback. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what I did get a car with more style and easier to work on
BUY A FASTBACK
ok all my friends here are gonna bust my balls but I am serious fastbacks have more room in the engine compartments
dude get the type 3 you will LOVE IT

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
BUY A FASTBACK
ok all my friends here are gonna bust my balls but I am serious fastbacks have more room in the engine compartments
How do you figure they have more room? They're all styled the same under the flap.

FU#3
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
BUY A FASTBACK
How do you figure they have more room? They're all styled the same under the flap.
dude I was just being a smartass

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
rubyred63t3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately stay with a pancake motor. Invest in the seals and you are golden. Swaps are for lazy people, kinda like the Irish, yes they can work, but nobody really wants them. Bad joke sorry.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyred63t3 wrote:
Swaps are for lazy people, kinda like the Irish, yes they can work, but nobody really wants them. Bad joke sorry.

it seems that every time you post something stupid, you apologize... it is easier to not say anything at all, rather than having to apologize for yourself on a constant basis....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
notchback wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
BUY A FASTBACK
dude I was just being a smartass
Hmmm Confused Somehow I missed the sarcasm note when I read "I am serious". Oh well.

Type 3's are great, with a type 3 engine. They may be a pain to work on occasionally, but heck, it takes less than an hour to take the engine out and put it back in. I can pull the engine, change the spark plugs out in the open and have the engine back in and take less than 1/2 of book time just to change the spark plugs on my Aerostar minivan. Anytime you convert to an upright engine, to get proper cooling you have to seal the engine like it is on a bug. Of course, there are those detractors who know more then the engineers that designed it and will say you don't have to and it will be just fine. Also, if using an upright, as howiesfamily said, you loose the trunk space. To do it right, in addition to sealing the engine to body, you would have to seal off the cargo hold from the rest of the car to keep fumes and noise out. Pretty hard to do on a square, a little easier on a fasty or notch. As Nancy Regan said, just say no.

FU#3
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find the most compleet example in your price range. This will save on heartache trying to fix someone elses bodges. Stay away from modified and lowered vehicles. You dont know if the modifier did it right and if they took care of it, then you would be buying some elses problems. If you wish to modify and alter start with a clean slate and do it right.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyred63t3 wrote:
definately stay with a pancake motor. Invest in the seals and you are golden. Swaps are for lazy people, kinda like the Irish, yes they can work, but nobody really wants them. Bad joke sorry.

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
rubyred63t3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that cause I am and it's has been very true. Quit cryin. Learn to laugh and you'll be alright.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Try to find the most compleet example in your price range.

This IS the best advice given. Shocked The reason is some of the early cars have some very hard (and expensive) parts to find on them, along with some one year only stuff. I know first hand, as I've a 65 Sunroof Notch, and it wasn't anywhere complete when I bought it. Some of the hard to find stuff I still haven't found for it, and those that I have cost a small fortune. Remember these cars aren't as popular as a bug or bus, so there's hardly any aftermarket support. This is good in a way, due to NOT getting crappy offshore replacement parts that don't fit, but it also limits what you can easily replace. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful too! I just looked in the classys at notchbacks, man there are some overpriced shit piles! Buyer beware. If you are new to the scene, post all your questions and pics up here. It will definatly save some $$. 4k should get you a decent runner that needs a restoration. spend between 6.5-8.5 and that notch better be a clean runner. Over that, I wana see some nice OG or killer custom stuff. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Be careful too! I just looked in the classys at notchbacks, man there are some overpriced shit piles! Buyer beware. If you are new to the scene, post all your questions and pics up here. It will definatly save some $$. 4k should get you a decent runner that needs a restoration. spend between 6.5-8.5 and that notch better be a clean runner. Over that, I wana see some nice OG or killer custom stuff. Wink
Ditto that. My '65 notch was free, but I've already spent a few thousand just buying the stuff I needed to make it roadworthy. I would have been better off paying $2-$3K for a driver. about 5 years ago I tryed to sell mine here in TheSamba for $2K OBO and didn't get a single offer. Today there are only two of them priced at $2k or less. Prices are definately climbing.

BTW, everytime I see the title of this thread, I wonder why you are thinking about me Embarassed

FU#3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: