Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

base+clear coat vs. single stage paint in NORCAL (SFbay)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: base+clear coat vs. single stage paint in NORCAL (SFbay) Reply with quote

i'm restoring my 63 ragtop... my intention was to "take it back to original" in many senses (mechanical, interior, etc.)... while not a complete purist, i do have these tendencies...

in looking for a bodyshop (1) i'm finding it hard to find a local shop that shoots single stage paint and (2) many folks have stated an overwhelming preference for base+clear coat paintjobs.

my question is 2-fold (1) does anyone know a resource (other than maaco) in the SFbay area that shoots single-stage paint and (2) for the traditionalist, is the base+clear option OK (this would be an opinion, of course). i'm really torn between my desire for originality and my desire to get this job finished.

yes... i have done a search and not found the answers to my questions. thanks for any wisdom.
Strato56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2 stage is a nicer finish than single stage, and it's hard to find single stage anymore. I don't think you are sacrificing any historical issues by doing 2 stage, and you are probably going to have a better looking, longer lasting finish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: single stage dilemma Reply with quote

I would have to say the preferences win in this case... unless you're color won't allow for single stage. If you are redoing a color with a metallic flake, single stage may not be the best. It is possible and was done for years by many auto manufacturers. Problem was with gloss. Usually gloss is sacfrificed for an even metallic layout, due to the spraying technique of a non opaque paint with metal flakes.

If you want durable and tough paint-NOT ACRYLIC ENAMEL- go with a single stage urethane such as PPG's DCC line. It is just about the same as clearcoat, but is also the color. I have done several restorations on earlier 60's Mercedes with DCC. It is a very good option.

Some question the holdout of the paint in the sun. One Benz I did was black and the owner debated for weeks which would be better in the sun. Eventually he decided on single stage, even though I really like both.

Comparably, I feel that single stage appears a touch bit less glossy, but only because it seems deeper. The base clear black seems very shiny and reflective, but not as "thick". As long as you stay within the realms of urethane, one or two stage is no difference. I like the single stages mainly because it saves me time in the spray booth... Although two hours is nothing compared to the many more involved in the body work!
Base clear is the only way to go however, if you are having to blend a panel or do spot repair!!!!

post some pics-what color is your car? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information... my car is pearl white... i'll post a picture later tonight. i'd really like to do the single stage, but finding a local shop is getting difficult.
Chillkoot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get dcc in both base and clear or single stage

Fiberglass is for boats... Rustoleum is for your lawn mower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chillkoot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl piant jobs are a tri coat... piant, pearl, clear coat.....

Fiberglass is for boats... Rustoleum is for your lawn mower!
BORIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pearls can be laid on in two stages, but not in one, as 'Koot' say's you realy have to do it in three stages........ the base colour....then the pearl.......then lay on the clear coat....for proper effect......but if your going for a solid colour i would always recomend 2 stage. Short'sEuroCustom, i remember when i once had to spray a metalic finnish Bentley in 1 stage...[it was all that was avalable for that colour] i was tearing me hair out by the end of the job! nightmare stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: not pearlized Reply with quote

the color is called "pearl white"... it's not a pearlized paint -- just an off-white color similar to silver beige (the stock interior color -- which is ironically, not metallic).

the color code is L87... its the same color as herbie.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

--
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/122740.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

--
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/122742.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: