Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Carb set up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Wirth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Carb set up Reply with quote

Ive seen a few Carb set ups on Vanagon, anybody have complete process for 86 and avobe years
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using a type 4 manifold splitter and a weber dgev 32/36 on my 1.9... . the injection manifolds will have to be changed / lengthened to work with the carburetor manifold... I'm quite a long ways from having it together though.

ups brought this the other day:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

originally the vanagons in europe had the carb base heated with water along with controlled hot air intake
vw_nick wrote:
I will be using a type 4 manifold splitter and a weber dgev 32/36 on my 1.9... . the injection manifolds will have to be changed / lengthened to work with the carburetor manifold... I'm quite a long ways from having it together though.

ups brought this the other day:

vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... freezing might be a problem, I'm not sure yet... but don't really plan on camping when it is that cold out anyway. I did a lot of searching on ebay.de for vanagon carburetor stuff and didn't come up with much. (even used babelfish to translate the key words) I'd be more worried about it boiling... so I was going to use the stock airbox for the inlet air. (cooler) I don't remember if it had a pre-heat flap on it or not.. it was one of the first things I pulled off the van back in september. Since it is a wbx there isn't the nice volume of fresh air pulled into the engine comparment all the time. I imagine there is some from the side vents, but certainly not the cfm the t4 fan draws.

(I had a 200cfm bugspray on my beetle with a non heat-riser manifold that would freeze pretty often when it was below 40 out... I had a 3 part trip to get back and forth to work... I installed a piece of heater hose through a hole in the engine tin w/ a scoop on it collecting hot air right off the #4 cylinder and positioned it pointing at the air cleaner, that helped keep the ice from accumulating. Its all fun and games until you're going 70 down the interstate and take your foot off the gas and you're still going 70 since the throttle plates are frozen in place)

I'm doing it to just get the van on the road on a limited budget.. I expect to have the fuel system from the gas tank to cylinder heads replaced (And working reliably I hope) for the cost of a new digi fuel pump. (and my digi needs waaaaay more than that) (atm I have $71 for the carb/manifold.. and that was w/ shipping Smile
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If icing up becomes a problem, you may be able to bend some copper pipe around the plenum and plumb it into the heater circuit.
tubytats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys if you want to convert your digifant system to a carburated one i would suggest the k297 conversion kit at carbs unlimited in WA. the kit includes intake a weber carb 32/36 DEV linkage gasket air filter instructions etc. second you will need a regulated fuel supply at 2 to 4 psi at cip1 you can get an electic fuel pump for 35 bucks and adjustable regulator for 22 bucks. then you replace you distributor with the screaming ignition kit for 140 bucks, kit includes brand new dist. cap rotor, plug wires ignition module,and also new bosch coil. wow. throw all the other stuff away and have a reliable and unique ride.

conversion kit shipped to nb canada 365
fuel pump 35
regulator 22
ignition kit 140

total 560 Very Happy
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Carb set up Reply with quote

Kyle Wirth wrote:
Ive seen a few Carb set ups on Vanagon, anybody have complete process for 86 and avobe years

you'll need a peirburg 2e3 carburettor with auto choke
It needs
*Bosch 009 distributor
*DG ECU and loom
*a DG manifold
*hot water supply to heat the manifold and auto choke (all the pipework is obsolete)
*live feed for the 12v manifold heater
*live feed for the idle cut off solenoid on the carb
*live feed for the choke heater
*airbox (with snorkle for ram-air at highway speed)
*Mechanical fuel pump (obsolete) or a suitable electric one.

the hot air exhaust take off that feeds the airbox is not necessary in warmer climates.

ask away for anything specific

Many have done this over here

Last edited by kevtherev on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: carb Reply with quote

I would go the route of someone in a foreign country that has a similar language such a a Kev ,who is in this post . Or I would contact Syncro Spares in G.B. As well . They break a lot of T3's and are very good about shipping parts in a timely fashion.
I have has a few sets of these before ,but as Kev notes there are a lot of bits and pieces ,including a special air cleaner and Distributor.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stacey.. Very Happy

yes syncro spares, brickwerks, Just Kampers(T25/T3), GSF (Transporter T25)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the heated manifold version and a Gene Berg dual carb setup.
I have not had the time to mount either of them.

dylan
yggdrasil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: scuse my newbiness here.. Reply with quote

I was showing my new rig (87 vanagon gl) to my brother in law and asking him what he thought. I value his input because he is a master mechanic.
The first thing he said was find a tdi to put in there.
Then he looked a little closer and said 2.1 liters huh ? I'm pretty sure I could get a turbo on that and it would make a big difference.
Then he asked what kinda injection it had and I told him it was digifant and that i had just started to see some tweaking of it on thesamba.
He said ahh, thats a bummer, if we could get a good carb on it we could turbo it pretty nice.
Now this post has got me thinking ....
Keep us posted on your success or failure here.
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: scuse my newbiness here.. Reply with quote

yggdrasil wrote:
I was showing my new rig (87 vanagon gl) to my brother in law and asking him what he thought. I value his input because he is a master mechanic.
The first thing he said was find a tdi to put in there.
Then he looked a little closer and said 2.1 liters huh ? I'm pretty sure I could get a turbo on that and it would make a big difference.
Then he asked what kinda injection it had and I told him it was digifant and that i had just started to see some tweaking of it on thesamba.
He said ahh, thats a bummer, if we could get a good carb on it we could turbo it pretty nice.
Now this post has got me thinking ....
Keep us posted on your success or failure here.

good point there fella .. Turbos
there's a big lump of prize power waiting for the jaffa who fits twin Dellorto 38's or 40's on type 4 manifolds.
twinturboing that pretty lot would be interesting to say the least. Very Happy

thing is flat four long strokers hate being spun up to mad RPM so it would have to be a suited turbo I guess.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbocharging a waterboxer has been done.
The cost todo so is roughly half of a complete Bostig engine swap when done properly.
Not worth it when you do the math.
The headgaskets are still the same and can barely hold up under the stock parameters.

Ask Daryl at AA Trans about it.
He has a Zetec now.

dylan
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man im glad i just found this tread,i have asked a few times about doing this.if screwed with my FI system a million times..replacing this and that while my old bay needs nothing..id love to just put a carb on it but then i was trashed talked for even saying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i am wondering if i can use my old progressive weber kit modify it like stated above to work with my 1.9 Fi manifold..but i looked up a screamer ignition kit..would you need just the 009.or someone said a 007 would be needed i cant find anbything on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry for the late entry into this thread.

I have two different carb setups.

1. is a Euro heated manifold with a single Weber carb:
Here is the manifold:

2. is a set of Gene Berg manifolds with dual carbs:

I have not used either setups and will sell them if someone needs them.
pmail me for details.

dylan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: