Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper soft top storage
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Proper soft top storage Reply with quote

I've seen many Things with their soft tops folded back with the canvas folded in between the frame. Is this OK? The owners manual suggestes that you pull the canvas out of the frame and fold it neatly over the top of the collasped frame. If you fold it neatly, you will have more access to the rear storage area. And I imagine that the top will have less chances of getting torn or scratched.

I've also seen some tops "rolled" up under the last frame member. So what's the acceptable way to store the top?
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Thing Shop in Arizona and asked for a catalog and material color swatch selection. Along with those things, they send me a CD with instructions on how to fold the top. I'd suggest you give them a call and ask for the CD. It's very informative.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do as the owners manual states. VW wrote up the proceedure for a reason.

I've learned not to second guess the VW engineers.
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I owned my thing I always had two towels with me to place over the rear window to protect it from scratches. I also folded it up. Worked very nicely.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the rear window does not zip in or off. A real glass window would have been nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fold my top with the frame all the time. I don't like to remove the top from the body, as it screws up the paint. Other than protecting the plastic window, I have not had any problems. Now, I also do not leave it in that position for long periods, as the window will get a memory.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soft top on my Triumph Spitfire has to be folded in a specific way or you risk pinching, tearing, or creasing the top or windows. When that top is folded properly, the clear windows are flat and are not damaged.

Maybe VW engineers didn't give much thought into the Thing top? According to the directions, the window is in contact with the outside of the top. Any dirt will have the opportunity to scratch the window in no time.

15's idea of using towels to protect the window is a good idea. I'm thinking that flanel would be a suitable material, either cut from an old sheet or bought from the fabric store. Flanel would be less bulky than a towel too, and easier to store with the top up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: