Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Lights
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Dash Lights Reply with quote

The illumination lights in the speedometer are very straight forward, no problem! But the light behind the defrost/heat switch is wired with resistors and only barely glows when hooked up to 12 volts. Is my bulb bad, or is there something more to this light? For example, does it only light up when the heater is on? It's wired along with the speedometer lights, so I don't think the heater being on has anything to do with it. Same goes for the light above the temperature control. It's controlled with the regular light switch too. Any ideas?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied the wiring diagrams and realized that I need to do a little wire testing. Also, I need to replace two light bulbs. Anyone know a source for the super small bulbs behind the heater ligth and the defrost switch? I might have to visit the local electronics store...
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the heater light is supposed to do? This is the light above the temperature pull knob. Is it supposed to be on when the heater is running, or just come on with the lights? Mine comes on with the lights.
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you on the function of the heater lights but my local Foreign car parts carries the minature bulbs found in the speedo head, (same bulb for gen/oil/ turn signals and speedo illumination)

If you can't find the bulbs locally, try here:

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=&SortBy=Popularity&Page=2

Third item down
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
. . . I need to replace two light bulbs. Anyone know a source for the super small bulbs behind the heater ligth and the defrost switch?

I just went through the same ordeal with another vehicle. I'm not sure which bulb in particular goes behind the defrost or heater lenses. But in the spirit of give a man a fish/teach a man to fish, take a look at TopBulb.com. They have two pages to help you identify your bulbs. One lists different shapes, and the other, different types of bases. Once you know how to describe what you're looking for it should be fairly easy to find online, or even at your better-stocked auto parts supplier.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 bulbs you describe come on with the running lights. When the speedo lights are on, they are on. The dash running lights all run off a white wire w/ red stripe. If you are unsure about those 2, check the wire color that is feeding them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

If the lights are to come on with the speedo lights, then my setup is just fine. After giving it some thought, I realized that the heater light should come on by itself when you run the heater without the engine on. That light is wired to the light switch and the heater switch. Thanks for the clarification...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a list of crossover bulbs for the Thing that are available at all auto parts stores go to: http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=100752&sid=9d9b073715fef57c4febf660d2fafc96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: