Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas in the Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Gas in the Thing Reply with quote

A couple of questions about fuel and the Thing.

How many gallons is the fuel tank?

What is the average MPG in a Thing?

Can I use regular 87 octane fuel in the Thing? (Thats what I was told to do)

Can I get a locking gas cap? If so, where?

Thanks!
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things weigh alot more than Beetles and Karmann Gias, so the mileage on Things is going to be much less. The 15 inch tires that some Things have hurts mileage too. Around 23 to 25 miles per gallon is about right for a well tuned Thing. Replacing the points/condenser with an electronic unit (like "Pertronics) will help a bit.

87 octane is fine, as long as you do not have the timing too advanced.

Locking gas caps are available. The Thing Shop sells them, Things Unlimited has them too. I have seen them on the Parts section of this forum also from time to time.
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: timing Reply with quote

Um, sorry but I don't know about timing? Embarassed
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock T-1 gas tank holds 10.6 gallons

Locking gas cap Thing Shop and others. $105

20 mpg is in the range.

Not on my offroad Thing.... He He

87 grade will run a stock VW 1600 dph fine..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on the Thing shop's mailing list. Back at x-mas they offered the locking gas caps at half price, nailed one for $54.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Wow, I will do that.

Can anyone explain timing?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine timing is an adjustment to the ignition system that determines the exact point in the rotation of the engine at which the compressed fuel is ignited inside the engine cylinder. More simply stated, on a VW you can rotate the distributor ( after loosening the nut that clamps the distributor in place) and change the "timing" when the fuel is ignited inside of a closed and compressed fuel cylinder. I hope some of this is helpful. There are degees of timing to include BTDC before top dead center or TDC top dead center. That marks a location of engine rotation so you can turn the distributor to allow the motor to run at its best performance. As in 5 degrees BTDC or 7.5 BTDC. There are two types of engine timing static ( with the engine turned off) and dynamic (with the engine running) Static takes a test light Dynamic takes a timing light. Again I hope this is helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wow Reply with quote

Kherome wrote:
Can anyone explain timing?

I have found Rob and Daves Aircooled Volkswagen Pages to be a valuable resource.

For their discussion of ignition timing, look here.

For an in-depth how-to on the subject, see their page on tune-up procedures and click on item 5, Set the Timing. Both of the timing methods that K-mann described are covered.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Daves information is great! Thanks for the link!

Looking over some of their information, they mention single and dual vacuum advance lines, etc. From what I can see, I don't have any vacuum lines on my engine, and there are lots of capped ports on the carburetor. Is this normal? I've had my Thing for only a week, so I'm still getting to know it. I can imagine that there are lots of modifcations for the VW engine, which may have been done to mine.

Thanks,

Warren
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
Rob and Daves information is great! Thanks for the link!

Looking over some of their information, they mention single and dual vacuum advance lines, etc. From what I can see, I don't have any vacuum lines on my engine, and there are lots of capped ports on the carburetor. Is this normal? I've had my Thing for only a week, so I'm still getting to know it. I can imagine that there are lots of modifcations for the VW engine, which may have been done to mine.

Thanks,

Warren

Often you find the 009 distys on VWs. If you have the stock carb on the Thing, the 009 is not a great choice, at least for me it was not. On your disty look for a vacuum cannister. If it is missing, you might have the 009. I got rid of my 009 (actually keeping it for my travel tool box just in case I need it) and went with a Single Vacuum style disty and it sure made my Thing run nicer. I added the proper vacuum tube to the carb and idle became nicer.

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just found out that I must have the cheap 009 distributor without the vaccum advance. Do most of you folks have this same setup, or have you changed over to a vacuum distributor?

From what I have read, the 009 distributor is terrible for engine performance and fuel economy. With gas prices nearing $3 a gallon, I'd like to get the most out of my engine. Suggestions?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
OK, just found out that I must have the cheap 009 distributor without the vaccum advance. Do most of you folks have this same setup, or have you changed over to a vacuum distributor?

From what I have read, the 009 distributor is terrible for engine performance and fuel economy. With gas prices nearing $3 a gallon, I'd like to get the most out of my engine. Suggestions?

My first advice is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Most people replace the 009 to remedy a very noticable flat spot or hesitation when they accelerate from a stand-still. This tendency of the 009 is apparent when it is combined with the 34PICT carb. If you haven't noticed that flat spot, don't feel like you need to make any changes. Just keep 'er in good tune.

If you are determined to make a change, maybe you should look at the SVDA distributor from AirCooled.Net. There's some promotional info HERE.

Stay away from the dual vacuum distributor.
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

Just to be sure regular unleaded 87 will or won't harm my Thing? Any possible way E85 would work?
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong the dual vac dist?

thats what i originally had on my VW thing, took it to the shop and they gave me the 009, i have that flat spot from stand still.

its been a few months, should i ask for it back lol
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
whats wrong the dual vac dist?. . .

IIRC, the dual vac distributor has vacuum advance and vacuum retard. The vacuum retard is an emissions accommodation, and hinders performance.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Kherome wrote:
Just to be sure regular unleaded 87 will or won't harm my Thing? Any possible way E85 would work?

Regular pump fuel at 87 octane is fine, I like to use higher octane when towing or off roading.

Things are not all fuel motors. E85 is a ethanol based fuel with 85% alcohol 15% gasoline. It burns hotter than a air cooled motor is designed for. There are alcohol burning dragsters, but their engines are only good for a few races.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jerrything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: 09 distributor Reply with quote

I wish I had a QUARTER for every word that has been written about that 09 versis the oem vac dist. I left mine alone and have no flat spot and just realize it isnt a perfoemance car. My friends & brother both have enormas flat spots and have the idle turned up out of the idle circut and advanced the timing to accommodate it. dumb dumb dumb
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
It burns hotter than a air cooled motor is designed for. There are alcohol burning dragsters, but their engines are only good for a few races.

Actually it burns cooler than gasoline. Many of my friends have alcohol burning VW and Mazda engines in their sandbuggies and the cylinder head temp's along with the exhaust temps are considerably lower than comperable gasoline engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: