Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

side curtain replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: side curtain replacement Reply with quote

I just purchased a '74 thing after being thingless for the past 16 years (my mother sold my '73 thing while I was in the Army). Anyways, the side curtains (and soft top) are trashed and I was looking on ebay and saw convertiablespecialties had a side curtain/top combo. The only draw back I saw was that you had to use your own metal core and install the side curtains yourself.

Has anyone purchased any side curtains/tops from convertiable specialties? How did they stand up?

After blowing my cash on purchasing the car (twice the price of what I bought my 73 thing) I wanted to keep the initial costs down for a while and was wanting some input.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing Shop in Arizona sells rebuilt side curtains and reinforced top frames. Once I've taken care of the more-important stuff on my car, I'll be getting my top stuff from them.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the product that you saw on eBay, but if you do decide to go this route, make sure you first check to see that your existing window frames are in good enough shape to see the job through.

As always, the problem is rust. The lower portion of original Thing window frames are notorious for rusting out. Moisture collects there over the years, and does it's damage. The kicker is that it's impossible to see without cutting the vinyl off the frame. In some cases, you may be able to see "bubbled out" areas, or even test for decay by pressing it with your fingers. In all cases, you'll want to check that the mating surfaces between the window frame and posts that secure the window to the door are structurally sound.

As far as other alternatives go, German Motor Works makes replacement side curtains too. The price is high, but the quality is exceptional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a supply of side curtains available. Many need new clear plastic. I have a soft top and a pair of side curtains available that are made of very strong material but are a the worlds ugliest color of green. These will be pretty cheap. Pmail me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Thing shop sells a better looking plastic window than German Motor Works, looks more like the original. Pebble grain instead of faux vinyl. I also bought the Thing shop top and the Robbins top sold by German Motor Works. Same deal. Thing shop product is just better.

oh i got the re-enforced Thing Shop bar. really nice. a little tight to bring up and down though. and a bit pricey. (ask for the timmy special on it and get 100.00 off then pick it up at the classics next year to save on shipping muhaha)

I 2 am interested in those Ebay windows. They Velcro onto your original frame. Which sounds really good. Easy to replace. and light weight plastic.

I bought the Thing Shop windows and they are nice, but a little heavy and a little rusty. The rivets started to rust first and part of the powder coat has been knicked off where it rubs up agsint the windshield frame just a little and that is rusting 2 a bit now. Its glass though

So let me ask you, what are your plans with the car?

Glass is nicer in dirtier/wetter enviroments?
Plastic is nicer because its lightweight and easier to replace possibly?

Thing window frames are on ebay a lot. about 100.00 for 4

If you could check out the ebay windows and inspect them youself, possibly fit them on a window that would be ideal.

The guy selling them on ebay is in Southern California. I may buy a pair for hot days :)

Just some things to think about.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
The guy selling them on ebay is in Southern California. I may buy a pair for hot days Smile

Just some things to think about.

If it is the seller I think it is they are located in Signal Hill near the Cost Co I go to, they said they have a open shop and will sell direct.

And they make the tops and windows out of Stafast as well! Might double the price, but I like the fabric better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the car last weekend, so I am just going to chill with it for a while. I am going to the Kubeltruffen in August to get some ideas.

Also waiting on my Muir book.

I am going to give it a tune up this weekend as it is not idleing. I have dumped some carb cleaner in the gas and have been running the engine for a little bit at night to see if that helps.

I think I may upgrade to the glass windows from the thing shop, but that will be down the road as the cost is pretty high per window, I was just thinking about getting the ones on ebay as a short term solution.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: