Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb adjustments for my Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Dorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Carb adjustments for my Thing Reply with quote

I just purchased a '74 Thing. I know the carb. is completely out of adjustment as the PO said he took it aprt & really didn't know if he got it back together correctly? It starts very hard. If I pour a tiny shot of gas into the carb. it fires right up but idles fast & un even. Can someone tell me the correct initial adjustments in an easy to understand manner? I'm fairly mechanical, but I don't get along with carbs. Thanks Jon
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb adjustments for my Thing Reply with quote

Jon Dorman wrote:
I'm fairly mechanical, but I don't get along with carbs.

I'm with you. If I have good equipment to start with and something goes wrong, I can generally sort it out myself. But if it's not working from the get-go, I sometimes feel like I'm stumbling in the dark.

There's an article on adjustment of the 34 PICT/3 HERE

From the same site, a carb overhaul procedure is HERE.

If you want to have it professionally rebuilt (only worthwhile if it's German, I've been told), I have read some good things about this outfit in the Samba Classifieds.

Good luck.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carb adjustments for my Thing Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Jon Dorman wrote:
I'm fairly mechanical, but I don't get along with carbs.

I'm with you. If I have good equipment to start with and something goes wrong, I can generally sort it out myself. But if it's not working from the get-go, I sometimes feel like I'm stumbling in the dark.

There's an article on adjustment of the 34 PICT/3 HERE

From the same site, a carb overhaul procedure is HERE.

If you want to have it professionally rebuilt (only worthwhile if it's German, I've been told), I have read some good things about this outfit in the Samba Classifieds.

Good luck.

I will be buying a rebuilt carb from this fellow soon. Seems to be a solid operation with good communication and product. I really like the fact that he replaces the throttle shaft bushing with brass -- great idea.

BTW, it may be a good idea (if you're running a stock motor) to buy a 30 PICT-1 and a manifold adaptor. These carbs are simpler and much easier to tune, albeit with a slight loss of top-end power.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carb adjustments for my Thing Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
BTW, it may be a good idea (if you're running a stock motor) to buy a 30 PICT-1 and a manifold adaptor. These carbs are simpler and much easier to tune, albeit with a slight loss of top-end power.

Second that. The PO had replaced the motor with a 1600 single port and a cheap Brosol 30/31 carb. At first I was irritated, but it produces good torque and good gas mileage and is a snap to tune. When the cheap Brosol dies, I'll be in the market for a good German 30 PICT-1.

By the way, I can still get the car up to 70-75 mph, so the loss in top end isn't drastic.
Jon Dorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Thing Carb Adjustments Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I printed the carb. instruction off & found out that my carb was way out of adjustment!! It runs much better. I think I still have to make sure I have my electric choke adjusted properly.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Carb Adjustments Reply with quote

Jon Dorman wrote:
Thank you for the help. I printed the carb. instruction off & found out that my carb was way out of adjustment!! It runs much better. I think I still have to make sure I have my electric choke adjusted properly.

Having the choke adjusted properly makes starting MUCH easier. Smile
Jon Dorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Carb. tuning again Reply with quote

Well I thought My 74 was running better after adjustments on the carb. The needle kept sticking in the seat, so I bought a rebuid kit for the carb. It all went together well Everything very clean inside. It it will start immediatly when cool. I can not get it to idle for anything!! I turn the bypass in & out with almost no results. I have even turned the volume screw in & out with no results either way. The choke is working well, & I believe it is adjusted correctly. The idle cut off solenoid clicks when I turn the switch on. It just will not idle. Runs good & sounds good if I barley feather the gas.I'm fairly good with carbs & such, but I'm at the end of my rope. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Maybe I need a new carb? HELP ME!!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check for manifold leaks. if the rubber boots or the intake gaskets aren't up to snuff, you will spend hours trying to tune your idle with no success.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Jon Dorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Still a few more questions Reply with quote

Is there a good way to check them? Can I use a little carb cleaner to see if the engine speed increases when I spray the joints? What about a weak fuel pump?? It looks like it has been there since the dawn of time.
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carb. tuning again Reply with quote

Jon Dorman wrote:
Well I thought My 74 was running better after adjustments on the carb. The needle kept sticking in the seat, so I bought a rebuid kit for the carb. It all went together well Everything very clean inside. It it will start immediatly when cool. I can not get it to idle for anything!! I turn the bypass in & out with almost no results. I have even turned the volume screw in & out with no results either way. The choke is working well, & I believe it is adjusted correctly. The idle cut off solenoid clicks when I turn the switch on. It just will not idle. Runs good & sounds good if I barley feather the gas.I'm fairly good with carbs & such, but I'm at the end of my rope. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Maybe I need a new carb? HELP ME!!

on the opposite side of the of the volume mix screw,there is a screw that looks like a nut with a ball in it(aux.idle speed fuel jet),it is just above the accelerator pump. take it out and get apiece of telephone wire wire and clean out the tiny hole at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: