Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maaco Paint job
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Maaco Paint job Reply with quote

I wont to get my bug painted i read from website that:

MAACO offers a complete paint job for only $189.Is this still true.This includes paint and labor! If you want the interior area (like the interior part of the doors) painted then it is fifty dollars extra. One reason why their prices are so low is that they put masking tape over everything they don't want to get paint on like the door handles, antenna, running boards etc. But since you have already removed that stuff, they won't have to waste their time taping all that stuff. Another reason why their prices are good is because they get their paint in huge BULK volumes.

Has anyone recently had their beetle primed and painted by Maaco ?- if so how much was it and what were you getting?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pleeto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$189 That will be one poor paint job
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good quality paints costs more than that, and remember you pay for what you get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one every got their beetle painted at maaco. Is maaco a good place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
partonkevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was lured to Maaco for the $189 paint job. It was a full size Chevy truck. They charged something like $50 extra to paint inside the bed. Then they talked him into a higher quality single-stage urethane paint. All said and done, $189 turned into about $700. It's been about 4 or 5 years and it still looks pretty good. He parks under a carport and keeps it clean and waxed. He thinks it looks a little dull.

Ever thought about painting it yourself?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl Sheib used to paint any car for $49.95. About the same quality.

Suggestion: Sign up to take an autobody class at the local tech school or adult high school and do it yourself. Both you and your car will be better off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i can say is i woild do it yourself befone i would have them do it im sure you could do as good...chris Rolling Eyes
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had 2 cars painted by maaco and scheib... one, a 71 standard bug (scheib... in 1989 for $150ish) and another, a 65 ford galaxie (maaco... in 1993 for $300ish) -- both in virginia. one was my first car, and the other was a college-cruiser. true, you do get what you pay for... but not everyone drives a zwitter ragtop. (caveat: on my current 63 ragtop, i've budgeted $6K for the paintjob... i care a lot more about this one than the others).

i was happy with both jobs and discovered that the key is in the prep. take everything off... handles, bumpers, trim, all door rubber, windows (if you can), running boards... everything. do most of the sanding and bodywork yourself as $200 doesn't buy more than a rough sand. after you sand your bug to nearly bare-metal, prime it with rattle-can primer and do a final wet-sand with a fine grit (800+) wetsand paper. buy lots -- you'll need it (15+ sheets). you'll have an extra $100 in prep materials alone.

i used krylon sandable primer that i bought @ the local superstore and it worked well... it adhered to the old finish and seemed to be fairly compatable with the cheap paint that the shop used.

remember, you do get what you pay for, but more importantly, you also get out of it what you put into it... actually, i had the bug painted twice by scheib. the first time, i skimped on the prep and was unhappy as the paint highlighted my crappy prep-job... the next time, i spent a week of sumer vacation sanding and smoothing the whole thing... both jobs (maaco and scheib) lasted until i soild the cars -- about 3 years later (and likely a lot longer).

if you're having the interior painted, try removing all of the gauges, radio grills and glovebox door (and give them an extra $20 to paint them separately). remove the carpet from the wheel wells, and the headliner, if you can... it's hard to do a good interior paintjob with carpet and headliner (and seets/steering wheel) still in the car. at least remove the passenger seat. if you've a post-67, try removing the padded dash. if you delivered thema rolling shell, there's not much to mess up (then again, if you go to all of that trouble, would you be better off with a better-quality paintjob (?) -- only your schedule, budget and personal-prefs will determine this)...

good luck. play hardball, be up-front and honest (its a bug, not a mercedes) and don't let them talk you into more stuff -- a $50 under-the-table tip will buy you a better paint job than a $100 "paint-upgrade". find a few maaco's in adjacent towns. if one gets cranky, walk out and go to the other.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered Maaco for painting a bus not too long ago, even went so far as to take it in for a quote. I just got the feeling the were going to do a shitty job of it, putting in an absolute bare minimum of effort, so I wound up doing it myself. It cost twice as much, because I decided I might as well get a better quality of paint while I was at it, but I was happy with the result. I found a local shop that rented me the booth, and stored the van in between coats for me too! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SouthernYankee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldent mind trying myself but I just dont have the time. I think my oppinions are right in tune with hlwimmer's.
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a 73 Super for my little sister as her first car, and had it sprayed at MAACO. Whatta mistake. They painted over the rubbers, over dirt, and flaked paint they said they would remove. That job was $600. I could have done a better job gargling the paint and sneezing it onto the car. I will NEVER take another car to them. Lesson learned.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
SouthernYankee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it you didnt prep it before you took it there.
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell no I didn't prep it before taking it there, I paid Maaco to do it, it was part of the agreement. It was a Superbeetle for chrissakes. If you're going to go through the trouble of 'prepping' the car to take it to Maaco, why not spray it yourself? I have a compressor, HVLP, and a 3 bay shop. I could have done it myself and had it turn out much nicer, but I didn't want to be hassled with it.

Live and learn.

As a consumer, I have the option to choose. That's why I chose to get another painter to do my buggy, including all labor. It cost much more than I paid Maaco for the previous job, but was worth every penny, and I suspect the paint will look as good 5 years from now, unlike the Faded, cracking, flaking Maaco job that is only 2 years old.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/127576.jpg

You get what you pay for. Period.

SouthernYankee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Most of us have the ability to prep but don’t have the means to spray ourselves. Like hlwimmer said, it helps a lot to prep it yourself. If you expected maaco to do a good prep job, or hell, any prep job for $600, you thought wrong.

Yeah, spraying it yourself is the way to go but not many of us have the means unless you rent everything and get lucky and were born with the ability to paint properly.
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just as of 12/1/03 called my local Maaco paint shop in Middletown CT and on the phone got an estimate of how much it's going to cost. He said 3,795 not 189 i asked him why i heard it was lower. and he said we don't use acrylic paint any more which is cheaper. I asked him if he'd lower the price if i sanded it all down and had the windows, and seats , door handles, and etc.. off . He said that wont lower the price. I thought it would because it keep them from having to tape it all up. I have never painted in my life and i don't wont to screw the job up i wont it down right. I have an old spray gun that works and i have a huge compressor and i can make a spray booth out of 4x4's an plastic sheeting. Is it hard to paint? how much in supllies would i be paying ? and when i pain my car and i just prime the area of bar metal ans just paint over those areas and ove the old coat. or will it look funny?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

link in the picture and i just paint it or should i strip all of the original paint and them primer and paint it ?
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just as of 12/1/03 called my local Maaco paint shop in Middletown CT and on the phone got an estimate of how much it's going to cost. He said 3,795 not 189 i asked him why i heard it was lower. and he said we don't use acrylic paint any more which is cheaper. I asked him if he'd lower the price if i sanded it all down and had the windows, and seats , door handles, and etc.. off . He said that wont lower the price. I thought it would because it keep them from having to tape it all up. I have never painted in my life and i don't wont to screw the job up i wont it down right. I have an old spray gun that works and i have a huge compressor and i can make a spray booth out of 4x4's an plastic sheeting. Is it hard to paint? how much in supllies would i be paying ? and when i pain my car and i just prime the area of bar metal ans just paint over those areas and ove the old coat. or will it look funny?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

link in the picture and i just paint it or should i strip all of the original paint and them primer and paint it ?

Last edited by 73resto on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthernYankee wrote:
Quote:

Most of us have the ability to prep but don’t have the means to spray ourselves. Like hlwimmer said, it helps a lot to prep it yourself. If you expected maaco to do a good prep job, or hell, any prep job for $600, you thought wrong.

Yeah, spraying it yourself is the way to go but not many of us have the means unless you rent everything and get lucky and were born with the ability to paint properly.

Yankee, Have you had a car painted by Maaco? How did it turn out for you? I didn't expect a show-winning paint job for $600, but I also didn't expect Maaco to paint over dirt. You REALLY needed to see this in person to believe it. It was absolutely disgraceful. 2 hours worth of sanding/cleaning would have made a world of difference in the paint. It is totally obvious Maaco put it in the booth, blew it off, taped it up, and started spraying.

73 resto, no one can give you a good estimate without seeing the car. Is all the rust work done? Sounds to me like Maaco gave you the brush-off.

SouthernYankee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, Macco is a joke and I wouldent expect them to clean it at all, that's why I would only do it if I did the prep work myself. Even then I'd be worried about dust while it's waiting to get painted, but when your dealing with a budget like mine, you can only afford one step above rattle-can in the driveway.

73resto, no way in HELL would I pay them 3,795 for a paintjob! Like bob said, nobody can give you a quote like that over the phone. If you even considered paying that, I would spend the money to do it yourself and buy the equipment. If you have any doubts about the gun, I'd get a new one, but thats just me.

Here is a basic primer on paint: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0212vwt_paint/
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yank, I see your point. I have heard from a couple of people that were satisfied with the paint they received from Maaco after THEY did their own prep work. But, the prep is over 75% of the work, if you've gone that far, may as well spray it yourself, if money's that tight. Plus, you can rent the equipment. Still, I give Maaco the bird whenever I drive by there, which is EVERYDAY.

By the way, congratulations on your JHC status.

insect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bug is at MAACO right now. I'm just looking for a paint job thet looks good to drive in. I don't think I would have taken it there if I wanted a show car look. The first estimate I got was for $1700, way too much for my budget. So I read all I could, bought a few quality supplies, and alienated my family for five weeks. Then I gave up. Body work is hard if you try to do it right. I got everything done except the top which a previous owner stuck a cb antenna through. I took it back to MACCO and the new cost for the same paint job was only $1000. The body man said the work I did looked good for an amature. $500 of the $1000 for him to make some of the fill work look better, and to weldpatch the hole in the rood. I've seen it primed and that looked ok to me. When I get it back I'll take some closeups so you can see the paint. Like I said this is for a daily driver. Also to note that all MAACO's are independently operated. I'm sure some are very good and others down right crappy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: