Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DMV Records
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: DMV Records Reply with quote

It seems that car dealerships can gain access to DMV records, because I will receive letters in the mail asking if I would like to trade in my current vehicle. How do they know what vehicle I'm driving and where did they get my address? My guess is they got the information from the DMV.

If that's the case, why couldn't we pull the records for all the registered Thing owners across the country? I appreciate the need for privacy, but I wouldn't be very upset if I received a letter from a fellow Thing owner inviting me to a cruise-in in my area...
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: DMV Records Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
It seems that car dealerships can gain access to DMV records, because I will receive letters in the mail asking if I would like to trade in my current vehicle. How do they know what vehicle I'm driving and where did they get my address? My guess is they got the information from the DMV.

It's more likely that the information came from a car dealer or a lender. There are so many ways that an advertiser can get that information that it makes me cringe to think about it.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought a new or used car in the past 2 or 3 years, you are a proud member of a car buying list (don't you feel thrilled)?

Dealers work onstatistics, and a majority of buyers will turn over a vehicle every 2 years. This is why you get the junk mail from them that knows what you bought or sold.

It would be extensive work to gather 181 purchases/ownerships from all states. I don't have that kind of free time; I'd rather browse this site!
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DMV Records Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:

If that's the case, why couldn't we pull the records for all the registered Thing owners across the country? I appreciate the need for privacy, but I wouldn't be very upset if I received a letter from a fellow Thing owner inviting me to a cruise-in in my area...

This varies by state. Some states are quite free with DMV data, others are less so.

I don't get any sales promos talking about my VWs in California, but do get a lot referring to my wife's Scion. Dealers love to sell that sort of information to each other. I'm rather amused by the "we want to buy your car" junk we get. Heck, by my standards, three years is barely broken in!

A lot of the things they say they know about you are just educated guesses on their part. The last offer we got was "We can put you in a new car for your current monthly payments!" This would be an interesting trick, as we paid cash for the car they were referring to!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: