Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving a thing to the midwest
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Moving a thing to the midwest Reply with quote

will a 74 thing fit in the back of a 22ft ryder moving truck, also any ideal in how to get it up into the truck. looking for a loading dock in Phoenix Az to use. I am moving from Az to Chicago. I love my thing and don't want to sell it, the cheapest wayto move it is to rent a moving truck and place it in the rear of the truck.
thanks for the ideals Laughing
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a thing to the midwest Reply with quote

nerf965 wrote:
. . . the cheapest wayto move it is to rent a moving truck and place it in the rear of the truck.

Can't be cheaper than driving it. Smile
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second driving it. If you need to rent a truck to haul your stuff in, buy a VW towbar and just tow it. A thing will fit in a 22 truck, but you will have little room to spare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPS what you can, load up the Thing, go.

Simple. That's how I do "big distance" on a motorcycle.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rental agreement probably prohibits transporting a vehicle inside the truck. Should something happen (fire, oil spillage, etc) you would be liable. Maybe get a smaller truck and car trailer instead, just to be safe?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always use a transport company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called a transport company they want $900 I figured Since my thing is apart and gas tank is out of it and can drain the oil out of the car i would push it in or winch it up in to the truck, I don't have much other things to put in the truck. with the thing, just a bet and few boxes.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerf965 wrote:
I called a transport company they want $900

That's way out of line. Call a few more companies and get some more quotes.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you do loading it will essentially have to be reversed upon your Chicago arrival, i.e. if you do the loading dock option in AZ, you are going to have to find one in IL to unload it. Unless you have made prior arrangements, that might not be as easy as you might imagine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/74thing/page8.jpg
Dimensional specs:
Wheelbase: 94.5 "
Overall width: 64.6"
Overall Height: 63.8"
Track front/rear: 53.3"/53.5"
Overall Length: approimately 144" (my spec)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the nice part, I have the loading dock in IL, Same placed I will be storing the thing at while i restore it. I called almost 30 diffrent transport company and the cheapest so far is $825
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 23' enclosed car hauler trailer for $5000 Took a Thing to California from Colorado. Delivered the Thing. Stayed a few days and sold the trailer for $5600 Paid the gas, lodging and food for the trip. Basically I moved the car and took a week vacation for free... Go figure.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the thing in the moving van is not really a bad idea, a buddy and I moved his Mini in one years ago. Being able to load and unload it is the question. Will the 22 footer give you enough room to pack around it?

If the Thing is not running right now you probably have a running car, have you thought of towing the thing and just loading it up like a trailer?

The Kmann is right about trailers, I know of someone making a nice income buying new trailers over in Upland and selling them up Pismo. He buys as much as he can stack up and sells them for close to double his cost.

Even at $900 it probably is a good value. Shipping prices had to increase as fuel costs went up.
nerf965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ferretkona,
how did you strap the mini down inside the truck, did you install the tie downs so the car won't shift?
Thank to everyones ideals, Cool after a lot of phone cars i will being using a 22ft truck with the thing in the back, and my small amout of stuff around it. and behind the truck my Jetta on a tow dolly.

Thanks to all, any other ideals please keep them coming.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerf965 wrote:
Hey Ferretkona,
how did you strap the mini down inside the truck, did you install the tie downs so the car won't shift?

We only moved Gary's stuff about a hundred miles or so. Mostly it was all held in place by other stuff. The Mini was mounted to a dolly with little wheels. We did create some light bulk heads to retain any movement, but we knew we were only going a short distance.

Most moving trucks are built with the rail strap mounting system. Unirails mounted front to rear with adjustable straps that slide to where you want them. Hard to beat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: