Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender questions?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Fender questions? Reply with quote

I believe my front fenders are replacements. They fit and look fine...however...my rear fenders have what appears to be Bondo or liquid steel laid inside the area where the fender's edge is folded in the stamping process. These fenders seem stronger (to pressure against the edge) than my front fenders which do NOT have this "filler". I can very easily clean ,sand and fill the front fender "fold under areas" with bondo and make them more structurally sound, particularly on the edge. I know bondo has no structual strenght in itself but in this application, I think it would help. Please go feel this lip on your fenders and tell me what you think. I suspect this filler is only on original Thing fenders. I look forward to a report and advice from my fellow "lip feelers! Very Happy
PS: Yes it is true I don't have much to do at this time. Cool
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but my NOS fenders do not have any filler under the rolled edges. However welding up a ¼”-3/8” cold roll rod behind this fold would increase there rigidity a lot. I should look into that. Thanks for the idea!
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both mine have filler/sealer in the lip
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My originals had that too- Though I replaced all four 12 years ago, I remember the filler because alot of the original metal had rotted away, so the filler was all that was left in many places. We've had the Thing in the family since day 1, so I know that the filler was original. I don't know if it was put in by the factory or the dealer, though- I just know that after 12 years without filler, my replacements have resisted rust better than the originals did after 12 years, so I wouldn't recommend copying the technique. My guess is that it was dealer-applied "rustproofing" that, in retrospect, did more harm than good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: