Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help front end shimmy on braking
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amlsml
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: help front end shimmy on braking Reply with quote

i bought a set of 5 spoke 15 inch rims from the Thing shop. I mounted 205/75 off road toyo tires. the set up looks really good. I din't touch anythin on the front end. when braking the whole car shakes and wobbles bad. going straight down the road the car tracks and rides true. I replaced or cut all 4 drums, new brake linee, brake shoes and replaced the ball joints. same thing. the wheels have been balanced and required alot of weight to balance them, also the rims aren't perfectly round. If the rims were bent why doe it run fine before braking??? ANY IDEAS?? thaanks Andy
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace the tie-rod ball joints or the trailing arm ball joints?

Mine wobbles to when I hit the brakes at 40 mph and only at 40 mph. In my case the front drums are shot and I can feel the feedback in the petal. However since you had your replaced I doubt that is the culprit.

Are your spindle nuts locked down nice and tight?
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: help front end shimmy on braking Reply with quote

amlsml wrote:
i bought a set of 5 spoke 15 inch rims from the Thing shop. I mounted 205/75 off road toyo tires. the set up looks really good. I din't touch anythin on the front end. when braking the whole car shakes and wobbles bad. going straight down the road the car tracks and rides true. I replaced or cut all 4 drums, new brake linee, brake shoes and replaced the ball joints. same thing. the wheels have been balanced and required alot of weight to balance them, also the rims aren't perfectly round. If the rims were bent why doe it run fine before braking??? ANY IDEAS?? thaanks Andy

I was having the same gremlins. I forget why, but I ended up taking the passenger front wheel off. When I put it back on, for some reason I rotated the wheel 144* from where it was before. I don't know if it was the rotation, or the perhaps I had just torqued the wheel properly, but the shimmy went away.

:shrug:
Thingster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check to make sure your front wheel bearings are tight. jack the car up, grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if you get any movement. If you do, something's shot or needs adjusted.

Justin
1954 Sedan (On the back burner)
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: help front end shimmy on braking Reply with quote

bciesq wrote:
I was having the same gremlins. I forget why, but I ended up taking the passenger front wheel off. When I put it back on, for some reason I rotated the wheel 144* from where it was before. I don't know if it was the rotation, or the perhaps I had just torqued the wheel properly, but the shimmy went away.

Interesting. Maybe the drum and wheel are more balanced as a unit now.
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: help front end shimmy on braking Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
bciesq wrote:

Interesting. Maybe the drum and wheel are more balanced as a unit now.

That's my best guess.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are dealing with a group of issues.

Braking wobble can happen when the brake drum(s) is/are warped If it is front warpage you can feel it in the steering wheel. If it is rear then you will not feel it in the steering wheel. If you have a mal adjusted front wheel bearing you can sometimes feel it upon braking because it runs cosnsitently with wobble until you brake. The old school method of adjusting the front beariing is to tighten the front gland nut jsu tto the point where the thrust washer willnot move. No more no less. If any of this is not clear pmail me at [email protected] and I will resolve all confusion. This is an area of DIYS.. This is one one areas of my expertise. I also have a complete OE front Thing braek assembly backing plate to drum for $70. I also have a set of NEW OE rear Thing backing plates and a full set of factory rear Thing brake shoes. This is a truly rare part... I have a huge supply of all the parts for the Thing .. I have new and used front shock steering damper When the vibration only occurs upon braking it limits the cause... This is an easy problem to track down..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amlsml
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: front end shimmy Reply with quote

went back took all drums off car and reground them until true, replaced one bad one, all new brakes,lines,balljoints etc. ended up the new rims were not round and were balanced on the rear of the rim. sent back 2 bad rims and problem is better, not 100% keep you posted
fisheye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the Thingshop a couple weeks ago about rims. They told me that the stopped selling rims because they were having a bunch of problems with them (quality issues like you are reporting). I know this info is a little late to help you out but maybe it will benefit someone else..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: