Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

06-07 sandcar project to support our Shop Program
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: 06-07 sandcar project to support our Shop Program Reply with quote

HUGE HONKER THANKS to everyone
who helped us out last year for our
project at Arlington High School

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.honkernet.net/AHS/departmental/SHOP_sandrail1.htm
what a great success thanks to The Samba and everyone who helped us build a great project. We sold it to a guy in Olympia, Washington and carried some cash over for this years project. 2006-2007 brings us a new crew with a returning top builder as a TA(josh- white t-shirt in the picture above)
Mr Mcaa (a.k.a. sandmaster) has a mid-travel 4 seater chassis for us and a box of parts from Jamar (no details on the contents of that box)
at Xtreme Motorsports of California, Inc. 661-323-8664 / 661-323-0069 FAX www.xtrememotorsports-cm.com is compiling some parts for us and hoping to get them to our shop sometime in october.

I have a line on a 100hp potential 1500 engine (locally) with a good oil cooler. ANY THOUGHTS? it needs to power a 4 seater sandcar...aircooled only (K.I.S.S.)

What do we need at the moment? Seats, shocks, wheels, (i can get offroad tires from a local tire shoppe), gas tank, side panels, wing?

ALSO, any thoughts on a good transaxle? the sandmaster would like to have the tabs weled in place for the transaxel if we have one in mind for this project.

figured i would start a new thread for the new project

THANKS Everett Barnes for hosting this forum for us and all your help promoting our project to support our industrial arts program at Arlington High School, Arlington, Oregon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job with the kids, looks like they are doing some pretty good work.Too bad so many shop programs are shutting down.Not everybody need to go to college to make a good living.As for a motor and trans,I would not really belive a 1500 cc vw could put out 100 HP.It might work as a starting point,Some more info on that would be helpful.As for trans, look for a late model bay window bus.They are getting cheaper if they are torn up and you should be able to use the trans,axles and cv joints depending on your trailing arm lenght.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: trailing arms Reply with quote

thanks... we are trying to keep our shop program alive with self-sustaining projects like this... and it is a kick in the pants for the kids (even the big kid in charge of the class)

we are supposed to have 3x3 trailing arms as per the sandmaster

OK.. 1500/1600 would be a bit weak... but up from there is a different style engine/flywheel/trans configuration correct? and we are talking mucho dinero just for a workable long block and parts.
my goal is to get a good/fresh big jugged (maybe cammed) long block with all the parts so the kids can finish the assembly of the motor... any thoughts?

can we continue to use a single carb with dualport intakes
and get enough poop to make it worth the time and money investment?

what would be the best aircooled engine to strive for for this application?
aircooled single carb & dual port intake is my preference

we are looking to put a bus transaxle in this buggy... i cannot see any other application for the size and potential horsepower/torque
nothing worse for the kids than blowing up a transaxle away from the trailer and having to be towed in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the larger displacement engines you see out there are based on the 1600. flywheels, etc are all the same. my suggestion for an engine would either be a relatively mild 1776 or 1915. as for budget, fresh rebuilt/overhauled engines, this guys prices almost can't be beat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=95956

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought is if you could actually find the bus i mentioned you could also use the engine.That is if you could find one for the right price.Type 4 engines are pretty popular for torque and reliability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Serrano's Reply with quote

yeah... talked to steve at serranos this morning... he was super busy. was going to call me back today or tomorrow about a project
that long block looks good... thanks for the heads up
i will try to get in touch with him in the next few days about a project

mild 1700-1900... that soundsfine... KISS (keep it simple stupid!) single crab and dual port heads... one carb to tune... it is all good

if i could find a bus with a good engine AND trans.. yeah... you got it
within reasonable distance to arlington OREGON

thoughts?
TCoville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish my school had something like this going we don't even have a class that teachs welding or working with metal Shocked
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

we had the oportunity to dive into a go buggy project 3 years ago and it has grown from there. thanks for your comments... AHS is small (40 students grades 9-12) so we have a few oportunities to do things like this. also.. the school is really open to having kids do things that can be marketed and sold to promote more projects. that is the kicker for our program... keeping it aircooled is the key at the moment. KISS keep it simple stupid!

got a line on A long block 1835 And short block with 78 mm counter balanced crank, trick VW rods, big cam. bored for 90.5 or 92 mm (i like big jugs) thoughts?
tuff_puff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wht dont you try a non vw motor. do like a 4.3 v6 and run a carb on it so you dont need to fork out $$$ i bet you could get kenedy,or mannex here in portland to donate a adapter plate. would make way more then enough hp. and still be cheap. i even think edlebrock makes "off road" carbs that will run through big woops and steep hills, without stumbleing
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCoville wrote:
wish my school had something like this going we don't even have a class that teachs welding or working with metal Shocked

my new school lets me work on caddy's, vettes, new trucks, the works..

shopteacher wrote:
i like big jugs

i like your style
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: school? Reply with quote

sounds like you found your niche
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: MORE POWER OH OHOH Reply with quote

tuff_puff wrote:
wht dont you try a non vw motor. do like a 4.3 v6 and run a carb on it so you dont need to fork out $$$ i bet you could get kenedy,or mannex here in portland to donate a adapter plate. would make way more then enough hp. and still be cheap. i even think edlebrock makes "off road" carbs that will run through big woops and steep hills, without stumbleing

non vw is definitely more power... but i want ot keep it simple for the kids... most of the crew is first year and they rarely have seen much... aircooled is one less circuit to mess with. YES, if it were MY sandcar, definitely the larger water cooled system. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is my philosophy in the shop... good thought for a future projectif i can build some depth into my returning builders

this sandcar can open up mayny possibilities if we finish it early enought to swap engines and go for more power. keep it on the back burner
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: week 1 in our shop Reply with quote

got my crew... and figured out who is transferring in and out during the first week of classes... YES it is early! but that is the price we pay for 2 weeks at christmas and out the first week of june.

the minions are working on an assembly project as i type this.... looks like a good crew!

got a line on a cammed short block ready for big jugs and an 1800 long block... thanks DWest what we need is a carb/intake/exhaust solution to feed it enough fuel to crank out the power we will need. ideas?

QUESTION...do the 4 into one baja exhausts scavenge a few horses or should we look to as little back pressure as possible?
dual exhaust with no heaters is fine... the baja 4 into one looks good and sounds great... thoughts?

ALSO looking for a transaxel to put in... sandmaster is hopoing to have the frame tabbed for the specific trans. looking to hear from steve at serranos soon about that.

got about a month worth of projects for the class prior to the chassis arriving in our shop. if all goes well we shold have picts up the day it arrives on our shop website.

thanks for your support!!!
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, i like the tri mill style set ups.1 5/8 is probably what you'll need.I'd check around for a used one, they are cheap.As for a trans,that will set you back a bit more but deals can be had.Big dave found a bus box at a s VW swap meet here for $10.00.Looking forward to seeing the pics.
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: geography Reply with quote

good thought on the swap meets... we are geographically challenged...50 miles from the nearest major grocery store and 75 miles from the nearest mall. 130 miles east of portland, OR
internet and this forum are our swap meets

yes.. trimills are cheap and they get the sparks out of the tall grass and scrub.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go,just have the kids rebuild it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=322449
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: and a road trip Reply with quote

the ad says pick up only in florida!
and the 68 bus is not the most reliable of the series... it was the first bus trans left a bit to be desired... thanks for the look!!
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: update Sept 7 Reply with quote

as of now we have a power plant.. thanks DLWest
1835+ w/dual kadrons, stroked, cammed-scat 35, big valve heads, 92mm jugs, balanced, with 8.7-1 compression, and some eye candy...complete!! zoom zoom

we are trying to locate a 3 rib(or better) bus trans to go in the chassis that is sitting in bakersfield. the sandmaster has a few leads on some other parts for the sandcar...
thanks in advance to jamar who has donated a box of goodies(no contents list yet).
Simpson offered us a great price on a set of harnesses-safety first.
Tire factory in the dalles has donated a battery and offroad tires if we need them once we know what size rims we will be using.

the builders are getting eady to build this years project. most of them want to build it and actually get to drive it some this year! check out our Industrial arts website at
http://www.honkernet.net/AHS/departmental/industrialarts.htm
as we wait for the arrival of the chassis, we are building a gas powered blender (smoothies when the power goes out!), and some other skill building projects you will see on our website as pictures become available!

Chatted with Kenny Churning (www.churninggears.com Apple Valley, CA) about a trans-plant for our sandcar...lots of great ideas from that shop!

thanks to Ed from bend who bought our trailer that we built last year... sounds like the suspension had a good test when he missed the deer carcass on the road with his truck.. but clipped it with the trailer!! He said it went aiborne and recovered just fine. Ed is part owner of Dilusso coffee and BeBop Biscotti... killer coffeecookie and a great cup of joe if you are in the Bend area!
tenthumbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump!

What's goin' on with the program these days?
shopteacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

sandmaster has the chassis done... and a box of parts from jamar... dont know the contents
delivery is slated for late october
we found a strong 1835+ stroked and ready to rock from DL west
i found a 5 rib with z28 axels locally for a fair price.... we need to pull it .. no worries
building a shopping list... sandmaster is a little busy with a family issue and gets back to us when he can... it's alll good

the shop class is working on a gas powered blender (engineering and fabrication)
2006-2007 shop website http://www.honkernet.net/AHS/departmental/industrialarts.htm

we aquired a revo 3.3 to work on the concep[ts of tuning a carb and suspension ( a primer for the larger system... goes like a banshee)

as far as the sandcar project we are in a holding pattern at the moment... building skills with the crew until the project arrives.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: