Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bug Stereo Systems - Rear Speaker Box Ideas.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent85_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: VW Bug Stereo Systems - Rear Speaker Box Ideas. Reply with quote

Samba Folks!

Hey I'm onto my next vw bug project. I NEED A STEREO! I am working on how to install a stereo in my classic 67. I don't want to open the orginal stereo hole, I want to put a block-out plate there. (Does anybody have one around) I am working on installing a cd-player into the glove box and wanted some ideas on that. Has anybody done that and do you have any pictures of yours? Also, has anyone designed a custom speaker box for the rear and have any blueprints, if not I am sure I can design my own. I just wanted to what you guys had. Post some pictures if you got some...

Thanks,

Brent
67 Beetle
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell gloveboxes that are meant to have radios in them but they are crappy. I just grabbed a plastic glovebox and drilled two holes on top and used ties to mount radio. Then I cut out a little 4 by 4 cm hole for the wires coming out of the glove box. I have the later style glovebox but it should work all the same.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I forgot what size I cut for my little speaker box in the back but just measure it out and use plywood..I got good results.
ESQ747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rear box design, but worth noting:

http://www.hoodride.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7752
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a piece of 2x4 to make a mount in my glove box. Glove box is now unusable. and had to cut the back of the box to give some extra room for the radio to sit comfortably. For the speaker box I made a shelf out of plywood and covered with upholtry carpet. Looks great, sounds better, and gives lots of extra bass with just 2 6x9s. My brother actually asked if I had a sub installed.

I used an old cardboard box to make a template of my parcel tray behind the back seat and just cut the plywood as appropriate.

I will post some pix in a bit
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this to one of my cars once, sounded really good and no one noticed.

This was another similar take on my other car.

I just put the cd player in the glove box and opened it when i would use the stereo and locked it when i left the car. Out of site out of mind.

I'm gonna do something very similar to my 62 here shortly. I'll post what i do then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just a pic i found somewhere but i've built several like this set up over the years. 1 10"(or 12" if you want) sub and you can either do 6x9s or 6.5 or i have done a full component system in the shelf(6.5, 4, and 1" tweeter). honestly since it's all behind you i don't think the component sytem is worth the extra effort sound wise. i good set of 6x9s or good full range 6.5s will sound great. run the whole deal off of a smallish 4 channel amp with the rear channels bridged to run the sub. i worked for HiFonics for a while and can tell you most people mistakes are trying to put to many speakers in a car and trying to over power what they do have. you can have a small system that will rip shit up and be really stealth to boot. i bought a brand new civic when i worked for them and we built it at the office with 1 12"(later switched to a 10") in a custom fabbed enclosure in the spare tire well, 8" mid base in modified stock door location(that was tricky) and 1" tweeters in the stock upper door location. all ran off of 1 100 watt amp dropping in a low ohm mode and running much more power.other than the nice Alpine in the dash the whole thing looked stock. even in the trunk as the woofer, amp and spare were all under a false floor. that car sounded like a concert hall on wheels and won tons of sound quality and spl contest.

basiclly saying just remember lots of times less is more. something like the pic below will give you a nice system and if done right can be completely hidden. and for the head unit in the glove box. i've never used one of those gloveboxes that are made for it. i have made one long long ago similar for someone elses car. some fiberglass and a little time can get you one that is very nice. i've heard good and bad about the ones now on the market. i'll be making mine...ken....
TedzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take..... I had two 10" sony xplod in a shelf in the back (no enclosure) It sounded ok, bass was not bad, but a little "droning" and muddy.

So i found some plans, and modified them. Now i have a double bandpass enclosure with the subs firing away from each other in its own separate enclusure........ OMG, i never imagined how much bass could come from 2 med/small subs. I plan so paint the box, and make a shelf/storage area where the rear seat used to be....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you guys considered the search button? There are all kinds of non-hackjob recommendations in existing threads, and the work doesn't look like it was done with a high school kid with a toy tool set.
brent85_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I really liked the luggage roof-rack stereo idea, very creative! So far I have made a wooden plate for my glove box that will hold my cd-player. Now I have to get it to fit right and add some fill to the corners then cut out the slot for the player. It also looks like I will have to cut part of the back of the glove box to fit properly. My next idea is to take a flat board and place it in the rear and cut out some 6x9 holes. I still don't know about front speakers but pondering some ideas. I will post some pics on the work soon.

~ 67 vw bug ~
elvisjer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the idea of cutting the glovebox...thats something very hard to un-do in the long run if you ever have to sell it for huge medial bills or something. I have a sponsored and magazine featured PT cruiser, and have MUCH experience with car audio...finally something on this fourm i know about Wink If your going to make that rear speaker holder...it would very much improve the sound quality of the speakers if you sealed them--build a box or similiar device aroung the bottom of the speaker. Sealing in the components makes them sound immensly better. If you're on a budget, alpine type R or type S are great for the price, and thier subs are great too. If you have any questions shoot me a message, id love to help. Ive got $4k worth of stereo (sponsored, i didnt spend $1) i my cruiser.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my creation.........

Designed for 2 JL Audio 10w0 subs. These are just for looks. Wink
brent85_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Adding some pictures Reply with quote

Well at it all day and night trying to install my cd player. and I have got some good news. It's in the glove box and looks better than I expected. Tomorrow I will wire it up and hopefully turn it on. Put some pictures up so you can see where I am at.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=brent85_98
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Brent85_98. You putting a sub under that speaker tray in the back?
DFDubVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Have any of you guys considered the search button? There are all kinds of non-hackjob recommendations in existing threads, and the work doesn't look like it was done with a high school kid with a toy tool set.

I agree! How exactly are these installs above better than the actual hidden stereo glove box? Just curious...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice install DFDubVDub, I like the in glove box setup. I prefer having the stereo "right there" as apossed to having to open the glove box. I'm getting my Pioneer DEH P7600MP today. I'll post my installation pics.
krlang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ty-wrap looks all too familiar.
I have one of those gloveboxes, one of these days I will buy a stereo shallow enough to not offset the wiring cover.

I have a box in the back of my car that has 2/10's and takes up all of the baggage area. Good thing I never drive my car.

"Then I landed on the water, Just about my favorite thrill....." -JB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g352nv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill post pics of our setup soon. I put the deck in the glove box with a custom panel. I also made front fiberglass pods. A member on this site gave me a great idea for a rear box that Ill be working on soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DFDubVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g352nv wrote:
Ill post pics of our setup soon. I put the deck in the glove box with a custom panel. I also made front fiberglass pods. A member on this site gave me a great idea for a rear box that Ill be working on soon.

Right on! I definately want to see your custom work! I just bought the fiberglass kick panels from VW Innovations for now, until I learn how to do fiberglass work, and can afford to upgrade! I had a hell of a time getting them to fit right, but if you look at the pics on my profile, you can see the final results!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Pioneer DEH P7600MP installed!! Here are a couple pics. I'm excited as to how well it came out. Sure am glad I found a radio trim here in the classifieds.

[/img]
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xzener wrote:

]

dude, your radio can't spell... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: