Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

odd carb/fuel line failure
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: odd carb/fuel line failure Reply with quote

Had the family in the Thing out on the rural hiway on the way to dinner.
Car just dies suddenly. (its never let me down)
Pull over and smell gas.
Open the rear up and it is completely painted with petrol.

I found that the metal tube that comes out of the top of my stock 34PICT3 came out of the carb.

I pushed it back in, but there is almost nothing holding it in at all and I do not trust it. Whipped out the tow bar and towed my beloved safely back to home. Brought the wife and kids too.

Should that metal tube come out of the carb? Is it really very easy to remove that tube on your carbs?

I was about to send the carb to Chard Carbs (Chads?) for a rebuild, but if that tube is really broken off then I need a new carb, right?
(and I know the newer PICT carbs are not as nice as a well-rebuilt German model)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sounds like you need to replace the short hoses before considering a rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brass tube is known to wiggle out under the weight of the fuel line (and a fuel filter in a lot of cases). Two solutions are to JB Weld the brass tube back in, and to tie a wire from the hose clamp to one of the bolts on the top side of the carb.

Good luck! (Sounds like you already have good luck, considering you lived to post about it. Wink)

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding on the luck. Worse part is that had the car burned I would have had to pull over into a field of grass to get off the highway.
There was nothing but grass for many miles.
Would have burned many acres.

Given that the tube is likely brass, will JBWeld really hold brass to aluminum? Probably worth a try anyhow.

Seems like a real weak point in the fuel system if you ask me.

Flame on!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld will hold it, but I highly highly highly recommend installing a hose clamp over the fuel line and tying a safety wire from that to another bolt on the carb. It'll hold it in place so you won't have to worry about the JB Weld holding. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: