Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shakey Steering Wheel over bumps
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
N2things
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Shakey Steering Wheel over bumps Reply with quote

Hey there, just got a Thing -really good condition, just over 30,000 miles mostly original parts, little rust, its Nice. Fixing it up as I drive it but not sure about some things since haven't had it for long. I drive over bumps and the steering wheel shakes a lot then it slows down and when I go about 45-50 it does the same thing. It didn't look like ball joints and I don't know that it is just a wheel balance, does it sound like a damper? And is that under the gas tank?

Thanks Confused
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know squat about Things but what you describe is a popular problem in some Super Beetles. This link my help guide you to your problem.

http://www.toplineparts.com/suspprob.html
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension on Super Beetles has nothing to do with Things. I'm betting the steering dampener needs to be changed.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
dan macmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like a steering damper. Thing and Standard Beetles share a similar front end design. I had this happen in my Beetle based street buggy. Scared the crap out of me as you cannot steer when it happens, only ride it out. I changed my Thing damper before I put it on the road.
Later
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shakey Steering Wheel over bumps Reply with quote

N2things wrote:
Is that under the gas tank?

Yes it is. It's actually quite easy to take out the gas tank - the hardest part may be getting it empty. Pulling or just lifting up the tank will make changing this part a heck of a lot easier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to monkey with the gas tank, its easy to replace the steering damper if that is the problem without removing gas tank.
N2things
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I replace the damper without removing the gas tank? Is a damper expensive...well not much on the Thing is actually that expensive.
Smile
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an Ebay store that sells the damper for $17.95:

http://stores.ebay.com/joetlc-com_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Replacing the damper is easy! Raise the front end of the Thing so that the front wheels can spin. This will lower them enough for you to access each end of the damper. Remove the bolts and replace the damper.
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

Before you go replacing parts you might want to research the cause a little more. Does the steering wheel shake in the column ?
Check tire pressure should be 18-20 in front There is a plate that tells you correct pressure under the front hood.
You can disconnect the damper from the tie rod end and see if it has good steady resistence pushing and pulling in and out.
Much easier with the tank out. You can do some maintenance on the tank when it is out also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
N2things
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will double check the tire pressure, I think it was good. I followed the reco under the hood. I suppose i need to get a service manual to figure out what all the parts look like and where they are. (just learning how to work on cars ) getting help from some guy friends that are mechanically gifted. Cool Is there somewhere I could get a manual (even on CD) for less than $75 on Thingshop?
Shocked
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

did you check the steering wheel. While sitting still push it up-down and side to side see if you get play. I dont know what year you have but the
Bentley Manuals( Volkswagen Official Service Manual) are very good. If you have a 73-74 that would be the Orange one covering 1970-1974 Look on Ebay used . Gives you the common stuff like motor, Front end, brakes, transaxle. The owners manual is good but does not tell you how to fix things. here is one on Ebay for sale used
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Official-Service-Manual-Beetle-Karmann-ghia_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6032QQihZ017QQitemZ270025909028QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old book called The complete idiots guide to VW's by John Muir is a classic. It is mostly for bugs but air cooled bugs and things have a common base. I have seen old beat up copies for a few dollars and new ones do not cost much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for Bentley on ebay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: ot Reply with quote

Hi Guy
How did you convert that ebay link like you did
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little PC code
[ URL=http://www.thesamba.com ]The Samba[/URL]
just leave out the spaces I added between the brackets and it will look like The Samba.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have new and good used steering damper available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a similar front end shaking problem:

-rotated tires
    -checked air pressure
    -changed shocks
    -replace antisway bar bushings and clamps with urethane/ss
    -took out dampner: has steady pressure in/out much like a shock (made in Brazil so not original anyway)
    -steering wheel has a minor amount of up&down play (less than an inch)

Shaking is transmitted through steering wheel as though it is quickly steering itself left-right repeatedly from 35-45 mph when going in a straight line. If I am following a curve in the road at those speeds, the shaking is markedly reduced, but it returns when the road is straight. Seems to stop at above 45 but I havent driving it that fast that long for fear shaking will come back at too high of speed. It almost seems as if each front wheel is fighting over which direction to take the car.

When crawling under the front and had the dampner out (jacked in the air), I twisted the linkage (tie-rods?) that go from the steering box control arm to the steering knuckles to check for play. The short, driver's side moved smoothly and tightly. The longer, passenger side moved very easily. I also checked every nut/bolt I could find.

Any thoughts?

Mark

BTW it was pretty easy to get the dampner out without removing the gas tank. 17mm socket wrench for those who care...
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: shimmy Reply with quote

yea i have the same gremlin. I got the tires balanced and rotated front to back and lowered front pressure to 18lb which seemed to help some.My steering wheel has play in the column and I just got the anti- rattle bushing that goes around the bearing inside the column. will see if that helps. If not I am stumped. Same with me tie rods, damper and ball joints seem ok. I was also told adjusting for more caster might take out the shimmy. I will report back when i get the bushing done.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the damper on my Thing and the shimmy that I had between 55-60 went away. However, it only stays away when the top is up! With the top down the shimmy comes back, but less severe. The wind drag must cause some instability...
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:
Shaking is transmitted through steering wheel as though it is quickly steering itself left-right repeatedly from 35-45 mph when going in a straight line. If I am following a curve in the road at those speeds, the shaking is markedly reduced, but it returns when the road is straight. Seems to stop at above 45 but I havent driving it that fast that long for fear shaking will come back at too high of speed. It almost seems as if each front wheel is fighting over which direction to take the car.

Well it appears I fixed it! After driving it for a couple more days, I focused on the way the individual wheels seemed to be competing over control of the car's direction. The Bentley manual had a little blurb about the toe-in needing to set mildly inward (pigeon-toed.) Figuring I had nothing to lose, I loosened the tie-rod lock nuts and clamps (24hrs soaked in PB Blaster), turned each rod one complete revolution (top of the rod rolling towards the front of the car), and retighted everything. Viola'! No more shaking! Whodathunkit!? Got it up to 62mph for the first time.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: