Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing gas fumes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Thing gas fumes Reply with quote

hey all,
i have a 1974 VW Thing. i've noticed a strong gas smell everytime i park her. i checked the hose running from the gas cap to the tank and it's in good condition. could it be that small canister on the driver's side of the trunk that has something to do with it? i'm really not quite sure what it does...
i recently started releasing the gas pressure from the tank everytime i park which actually seems to cure the problem...
thanks in advance,
chris
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that the vapor lines are too blame. If the lines are hard and brittle you should replace them. There is also a short length of line behind the front right wheel well, along the edge of the floor pan, that more than likely has cracked/split. Also be sure that hoses at the rear of the vehicle (around the charcoal canister) are still intact and attached to the air cleaner. This will maintain the vacuum needed to purge the fumes from the tank. I'd also double check the fill tube and pressure return line.

I had the same problem and replaced all of the above and the gas fume smell went away!
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though those fuel lines from the filler neck look good, they are most likely allowing the gas to soak onto the cloth outer shell of the tube, especially after filling up the tank, or driving as the gas sloshes around. After 25 years of service, these should be replaced along with the vent lines. The charcoal canister is next to impossible to find new, but yours should be alright. Buy the fuel filter line kit and replace your old ones. I bet this fixes the smelly gas problem.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You offered evidience that has not been addressed. When you remove the gas cap pressure is released. The VW Thing gas cap has a pressure relieve valve built into its innner workings. I suspect your relief valve is stuck. Take off your gas cap, take a round rod about 4 mm in diameter and depress the valve. This make unstick your valve. You might need a new gas cap. If you need any of the other Fuel filler parts I have all of them available. If removing the gas cap relieve presuure that means that your venting system is plugged. The Thing has a multi system venting system that work very well when all parts are operating. I can send you pictures of the system if you pmail me or they are also contained on the RoMTOC Thing Data CD....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: