Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Screw Description
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnaTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Dash Screw Description Reply with quote

OK, so I'm an idiot. Can someone please tell me precisely what the screws that hold the dash panels are supposed to look like on a new, stock THING?

Were they silver oval head? Or painted the color of the dash? I saw one THING where the guy used a drywall screw to hold his panels in. Looked like hell.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiche on ROMOTOC CD says:
N 014 087 5 TAPP, SCREW CS_(?) RAISE HEAD B3.5x16

The CS_ part is illegible.

Mark
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillips head screw, unpainted
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came with unpainted crowned phillips head 3.5 mm x 16 mm self tapping screws. I replace them with 4 mm stainless steel screws of the same type. Thye look very nice. There are some folks in the UK who are selling Thing body hardware kits on Samba. I have bought lots from them and am very pleased wiht their stuff. Anyone doing work of any quality at all on their Thing should seriously consider thier hardware. I have used the Hillman hardware selctions offered at Ace hardware stores and the Home Depot stuff. Both metric and stainless steel. Btu the guys for the UK have done the research and have it all dialed in. I have bought enough from them that now they always send me a few complimetary bags of stuff. Great folks fast servise adn the hardware is right on the money every time..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Screw Description Reply with quote

While there's no definative answer among all these replies, there does seem to be a consensus brewing.

K-Mann has specified a size: 3.5 x 16mm. But he's calling them "crowned" Phillips head, and self tapping. They are oval Phillips head. I'm not sure about the self tapping. Maybe just plain sheet metal screws.

Mine were painted when I bought the car (but then, so were the fender welts). Now they are stainless. In any case, I can't be sure of the stock finish.

There seems to be a general opinion that they should be unpainted. Are they supposed to have any sort of finish on them? Plating? Oxide? Or are the stock ones stainless (doubtful)?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem going with the Cap't term oval phillips. I was at a loss for the exact term for the shape for the screws that hold all kinds of stuff on the VW in place. I have some original dash screws and they have the same finish (definately not stainless steel) as the other stock screws that secure the various interior finish parts like the screws that hold the seat belt hooks in place. I have loads of the stock screws, but as do many others,I have gone with the stainless screws of the same general size and shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet a lot of money that they weren't stainless from the factory. There are so many other (important!) bolts that should have been stainless!

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: