Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine compartment cleanup/dressup/paint conundrum
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Engine compartment cleanup/dressup/paint conundrum Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

As my car's piecemeal restoration continues, the engine is pulled and I want to clean up the compartment.

I'm not ready (financially) to re-paint the whole car, so I'm thinking about the options.

Maybe linex/rhinoliner...or does that hold dirt and make it hard to clean?
Maybe fully chrome it out...just kidding.

Does the color matter at all for heat retention?

Thanks.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the metal isn't rusting away, I'd just clean it, and repaint when you have the right equipment. You'll *love* yourself when you're scraping off the rhinoliner... Rolling Eyes

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
. . . You'll *love* yourself when you're scraping off the rhinoliner... Rolling Eyes

I also have a mild distain for spray in bed liner, and a loathing for it when used anywhere else but in a pick up bed. It looks great when it's first shot in, but later - nasty.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look in any car that the owner has spray painted black around the motor, it always looks nasty. Repainting a car a different color and not doing a complete job in the door jambs and trunk and motor is disgusting as well. I enjoy a vintage original paint job over a bad repaint any day.

I just used the spray in liner in my wife's wagon because the floorboards were rotten and I had to replace much metal, but at least I got to carpet over that stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing was repainted red by a previous owner. Who ever painted it did a great job, inside and out. In fact, the entire vehicle was media blasted prior to being painted (I'm still vacuuming out left over sand). Anyway, they didn't paint the engine compartment. Luckily the original color was white, so it doesn't clash too much with the red (as opposed to green or yellow).
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO painted the engine compartment in my Thing black. He didn't prep it and it looks awful now after I powerwashed a thick coat of black, oily grime and loose paint off (at least it was all black BEFORE I cleaned it....)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The best looking engine compartments are body-colored IMHO. In addition, a lighter color makes troubleshooting oil and exhaust leaks and other problems easier.

Mark
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, markie, at least you're 1/4 of the way to the OG paint. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all right, alright.

I think body-color is the way to go.

I still want to try Dawn Power Dissolver to take a layer of bad paint off the whole car.

The bedliner sounds like "Bad Idea Jeans."
(Bad Idea jeans - a commercial featuring scenes of people discussing what can be considered "bad ideas" (for example, "Now that I have kids, I feel much better having a gun in the house"). After each scene, white text on a black background reads "BAD IDEA")
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90abadidea.phtml
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
I also have a mild distain for spray in bed liner, and a loathing for it when used anywhere else but in a pick up bed.

what? you don't think the thing'ma'bob looks kewl with the full bedliner paint job, inside and out? Smile i think bob said he used something like 8 gallons of the stuff to paint the entire car.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwthingboy wrote:
I still want to try Dawn Power Dissolver to take a layer of bad paint off the whole car.

Careful with that stuff; it'll eat its way to the metal before you know it! Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
s_wypych
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preivous owner of my Thing had the inside of the front trunk, the engine compartment and the insides of the doors all sprayed with a fire retardent spray.
For safety's sake I'm sure it seemed like a good idea. But what a mess! When it gets at all warm it is greasy and messy, I can't store anything in my front trunk or it gets all over it. They did put carpet down in there and in the door insides, but wow does it make things stink! I guess on the up side nothing wants to try to live in it when it is in my detached garage over the winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: