Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing gas tank
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Removing gas tank Reply with quote

I've searched through the Thing Forum and can't find anything on removing the gas tank and what goes into it. I seem to remember this being talked about. Can someone post a forum link for this procedure?
Thanks,
Half
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gas tank out: plus what?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193313
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I need to get at the master cylinder. I know I can reach it from under the car but it is very caked with mud and I want to make sure I get it nice and clean prior to putting in the new one.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my tank out recently. It's not rocket science.

First, drive it until almost empty. That'll make taking it easier.

The down and dirty way:

- take out the bolts holding the tank

- remove the hoses attached to the tank (filler and vent)

- simply pull it out. The fuel line below will protest, but you can either keep
pulling and let it pull off or clip it. You'll probably want to replace the fuel
line anyway.

If you want to do it cleanly, get underneath the car and remove the fuel line before you remove the tank.

I may have missed a step or two; I wrote this from memory. As always, bue sure to be in a well ventalated space with no open flame. Old clothes too.

Have fun.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

A friend of mine almost died a few months back when he was working on the fuel line on his daughters bus and bumped a live wire. His gas-soaked coveralls went up like a torch. He lost all his fingers in his right hand to the first knuckle, severe burns on his arm and face, etc, etc.

His words of advice: Good quality fuel line and DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

I pulled my tank a few weeks back. Safely emptied it into one of our other cars (thinking of my friend the entire time) and it was easier than I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to echo Ian's plea.. I was vicitim of a similar event some 20 years ago as was a dear friend (no longer with us) I suffered very life threatening burns from a simple gas related mistake. Gas hits the coverall and it is backdraft time.. Disconnect the battery!!!!!!! I forget to list this step because for me it is a must for all fuel related issues.... Please everyone be careful.. I can pull a VW gas tank and replace all parts and have it back in like new in under 30 minutes. But I have paid the price. Go slow. be safe..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I would hate to do the Richard Pryor thing.

Once everything is back in place do you have to bleed the fuel line to get the air out or does the fuel pump do it for you?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the gas tank and lines are back in place. You can put a container under the fuel line that goes to the fuel pump. Then add some gas to the tank.. Since the fuel system runs downhill the gas will flow through the lines and go into the can forcing the air out of the fuel lines. Have a sharpened wooden pencil ready. You can gently put the sharpened end into the center of the gul line. This will stop the flow until you hook the fuel line back up to the fuel pump. Remember to clamp all fuel line fittings. This bleeding may not be needed but it will provide evidence that the gas line is free flowing.
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K-mann.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad i had something to offer. Let us all know how it turns out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: