Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody ever purchase from 'Metal by Gary G' - Merced, CA?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Anybody ever purchase from 'Metal by Gary G' - Merced, CA? Reply with quote

A while back I contacted Gary about purchasing a Thing front beam, but now all of the phone numbers I've tried are other people. Anyone know if he's still open for business?

Thanks,
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Gary in business Reply with quote

Gary is in business but getting ready to move. He's between Merced and Atwater. Right now, I can't find his card, as soon as I do, I'll post it. He reads Samba a lot, and may see your inquiry. FYI, he is a nice guy with a zillion Things in various condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cecil. I'm hoping he sees this as I really want to purchase a beam from him. Thanks for the heads up!

: Greg
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary sells on ebay, you might contact him thru their "ask the seller". Seller id is metalbygaryg .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona -

Thanks for the tip!

dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend purchased a beam from him with new ball joints and they were installed wrong, and the funny part was I told him about Gary after I bought my beam from him, and low and behold when I checked my beam the ball joints were also installed wrong, I hadn't looked at them as the beam was for a future project, so make sure they are installed correctly before you lay out you hard earned dollars. Bug ball joints are unidirectional and Things go in one way only. Hope this helps
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis5 wrote:
A friend purchased a beam from him with new ball joints and they were installed wrong, and the funny part was I told him about Gary after I bought my beam from him, and low and behold when I checked my beam the ball joints were also installed wrong, I hadn't looked at them as the beam was for a future project, so make sure they are installed correctly before you lay out you hard earned dollars. Bug ball joints are unidirectional and Things go in one way only. Hope this helps

Can you expand upon what you mean by "Bug ball joints are unidirectional and Things go in one way only." I always understood ball joints to go in with the notches facing forward and back. I thought Bug ball joints had to be oriented in the arms the same way. Are you saying that is not the case with Bug ball joints? Or, are you saying one particular notch must face forward and the other must face the back on the Thing?
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd be interested to find out as well.

dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on Bug the new ones can go in any direction on Things if you have ever replaced one there is the notch you must line up or if its not it binds up.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the notches need to be oriented correctly on a Bug front end too. I dont think they can go in any old way. What is your procedure to line up the notches? Ive replaced 181 ball joints and had the notch face forward and back......you too?
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope this helps

Gary G.
Metal By Gary G.
Merced Ca.
(209) 385-0346
www.metalbygaryg.com
[email protected]
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Got ahold of him and my beam ordered.

Revis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Metal by Gary G Reply with quote

I've puchased items from Gary a few times and was very happy with the transactions. Since then we've become friends. I'd trust him in a heart beat.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a front fender welt.

Took a little more time than usual, said he broke his foot and wasnt in the shop as much.

So he finally sent me the fender welt for free. ( wanted 10.00 originally )

Where is he moving to?

I communicated via email no problem.

I was looking to have my front right fender welded a bit more, hammered out, and puttty, offered his services plus he would show me how to do it.

Pretty cool guy if you ask me.
61Panelwagen
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary is someone that doesnt come around much in the VW community.I just got back from Garys shop from picking up a bunch of parts at a VERY good price and VERY good customer service.Thanks Gary!!

I have a Thing front beam for sale if anyone is interested.
Thanks
Manny
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: