Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CP1 muffler
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: CP1 muffler Reply with quote

I did some research on exhaust systems for the things (using the search on the foruns). I have a stock motor and wanted it to be quiet and retain the factory look. I saw a lot of people talking about the CP1 muffler, but nothing on how it actually fit or sounded.
I finnished installing one today and it fit like a normal aftermarket part that you have to adjust while installing. I was a little disappointed with the sound of the muffler. Its not a that much queiter then the original (factory) muffler that was rotted out, and everyone in the family says it sounds like a small tractor.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if you want stock, you have to buy stock.

The best way to buy mufflers is to attend shows and listen to vehicles that have the part you are thinking about buying. Then ask the owner, and in your case, have them start the car so you could have heard.

Sorry this did not work out for you, but thanks for sharing your experiences so that others do not assume that this muffler is like stock.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to tweak my CP1 muffler to get it in as well. Cie la vie. I've never seen any exhaust system for an air cooled VW be "snick snick" other than block stock.

I like it. It's tidy, out of the way, easy access to everything. Bang for the buck, it works for me.
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing came from the original owner. I knew I was getting a car with a 33 year old muffler, so I replaced it.

I got the exhaust unit from German Motor Werks.
It exactly matched the stock unit I took off, except that I didn't replace the egr (?) canister.
It also came with all new hardware and j-tubes and went on with no problems and has not leaked at all. In fact, it was so easy to install that I was certain I would have exhaust leaks and have not found one in months.
If you compare the sotck muffler to the one from GMW there are few differences and it seemed to fit well for the same reason.

The new unit made about the same noise as my stock unit with some small holes in the egr (?) canister.

The exhaust also came with the tubes to route the exhaust pipes through the stock bumper, like the stock unit.

Of all the exhausts I have ever worked on (Bus, Bug, Chevy, motorcycles) the Thing exhaust was the easiest to install and fit perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: