Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Not to steal anyone's thunder, but... Reply with quote

Not to highjack the impressive feat of driving an untested Thing up to Canada and, but I just logged 12,000 miles in two months! The Thing made it from Oregon, through the upper mid west, into Canada, over to Montreal, down to upstate NY, through New England, NYC, down to South Carolina, over to Georgia, up through Alabama and Mississippi, into Memphis, over to Nashville, up through Kentucky, over to southern Illinois, back down through Mississippi to New Orleans, across Texas, up into New Mexico, southern Colorado, Utah, through Arizona to SoCal, up the coast to SF, and back home to Portland. I think I hit 40 US states and two Canadian provinces all together.

The damage: two fan belts, one fuel pump, a side curtain, one soft top latch, a gas cap, and one horn that decided to fall at 75mph. And some idiot transporting huge rocks didn't secure his load- one of 'em bounced off and cracked the windshield pretty bad.

But, really, nothing that kept me off the road for more than an hour (the fuel pump causing the longest down time- luckily I was only about 20 miles from Happy Auto in New Albany, IN, where I was able to secure the part and replace it).

I love my Thing.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You da Thangster man///// Be sure and contact David Campbell at the181 registry and take your place in the Thing record book... I know he would love to do a feature article on your journey.. Way to go.. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not to steal anyone's thunder, but... Reply with quote

dixonmanor wrote:
The damage: ... a side curtain...

How did you lose a side curtain? It didn't fall fall off at speed, did it?

I'm sometimes concerned that I'll hit a bump and lose one on the freeway, but that hasn't happened yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side curtain was my fault- left it on the roof and drove away.
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Journey Reply with quote

Curious--are the motor and tranny stock and original and what kinda gas mileage did you get
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixon, next time you do a cross-country tour, look up some of us Iowans. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock set-up, yeah. I got anywhere from 15-25mpg, depending on what part of the country I was in, how long it'd been since a tune-up, hills, wind (esp. in New Mexico and the Coachella Valley in CA), etc.

Didn't make it to Iowa- next time, though.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: