Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it possible...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Is it possible... Reply with quote

So, as a relatively new Thing owner, I've got a bit of VW fever. I grew up with VWs (squarebacks, beetles and busses)- but my Thing is my first personal (i.e. not my folks') VW.

So I don't know a ton about 'em, but I love 'em and I'm learning as I go. Now, the big question:

I always see weird vehichles powered by VW running gear, wether it's some kind of crazy trike or an MG replica. My question is, is it possible to just dump a VW engine and tranny into an existing vehicle and make it work? What if you wanted to build a pickup- would there have to be some crazy tranny mods in order to have the engine placed up front?

Mostly just curious... thanks for any help on what may be an obvious or silly question.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible, I thought of doing just that with a old car of mine. People have used VW air cooled motors in old Fiat 850's. I have a old 1200 Fiat that needs love. Difference is the 1200 is a front motor. My brother has had a lot of luck with rabbit motors.

A big consideration is when changing motors to a different brand you usually lose any value left in a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say the reason for the VW engine to be popular in swaps and/or kit cars is it's air cooled simplicity. No radiators, hoses, and radiator cooling to worry or engineer into the project.

And parts are still easily obtainable, and for reasonable cost.
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, what I'd love to do, is modify an old mid-60's Datsun pickup to be VW-powered. But it sounds like I'd need to use a type of engine that's already in the front of a VW to do so. Right?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with Datsuns years ago, they are really simple bullet proof motors and parts are still available for the old push rod motors. A newer 2000 Datsun motor is a simple swap on the old 1200 motors.

The little truck would be a great candidate for the swap because of the weight. VW made their little Rabbit truck that did not seem to be very popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible... Reply with quote

dixonmanor wrote:
So, as a relatively new Thing owner, I've got a bit of VW fever. I grew up with VWs (squarebacks, beetles and busses)- but my Thing is my first personal (i.e. not my folks') VW.

So I don't know a ton about 'em, but I love 'em and I'm learning as I go. Now, the big question:

I always see weird vehichles powered by VW running gear, wether it's some kind of crazy trike or an MG replica. My question is, is it possible to just dump a VW engine and tranny into an existing vehicle and make it work? What if you wanted to build a pickup- would there have to be some crazy tranny mods in order to have the engine placed up front?
Mostly just curious... thanks for any help on what may be an obvious or silly question.

I don't think what you are talking about is possible. In its standard configuration, the AC VW engine is mounted behind the transaxle (rear engine). If you flip the ring gear in the transaxle, you can run the engine in front of the transaxle (mid engine) as is done in some sand rails and replicars (Porsche 550). In either configuration, the engine and transaxle are designed to be mated together.

Since the transaxle is not set up to allow for the wheels to turn, you can't use it for a front wheel drive configuration. And since the clutch housing is incorporated into the transaxle case, you can't really seperate the engine from the transaxle with a driveshaft. (At least you can't do it very easily - anything is possible with enough money.) Porsche did set up the 928 (and 944?) with the engine in front, connected to a transaxle in the rear via a torque tube (instead of the "normal" engine and transmission in front, connected to a differential in the rear via a driveshaft.)
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was in the Datsun I would use a adapter and use a stock tranny. If I was using a air cooled motor in a front wheel drive I would use a Rabbit or early Audi transmission. Dodge and Chrysler used a VW/Audi transmission in some cars in the 70's. Many front wheel drive trannies use a transverse mount. The Dodge and Audi 100LS used a inline mount.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: