Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance Jet Doctor . . . What the . . . ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8nMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: CB Performance Jet Doctor . . . What the . . . ? Reply with quote

I fired up my 2276 last night for the cam break in. The motor is on my sand rail. I installed the Jet Doctors on my dual Delortos before I fired it. It started ok but ran a little ragged. Not smooth at all. I looked back to see fuel being spurted out the jet doctors. It would spurt out every time the corresponding barrel fired. I shut it down immediately, of course. No one likes raining gasoline over a warm motor. No air cleaners on at this point. I jet drilled out the lead shot plugs and re-installed the stock idle jets. It started and ran smooth after that with no fule spray anywhere.

So, has anyone else experienced this? I thought these were supposed to solve potential problems with clogged jets by keeping sand particles out. I can see how that is done if you back flush them constantly.

Cam is an FK-8 using 1.4 Auotcraft rockers. Set loose (.004) for the cam run in. RPM's held to 1500-1600.
Vayabroder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: CB Reply with quote

I have an acquaintance who has them in his car, swears by them and he says they work perfectly.
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Jet Doctor . . . What the . . . ? Reply with quote

jhtaylor wrote:
I jet drilled out the lead shot plugs and re-installed the stock idle jets. It started and ran smooth after that with no fule spray anywhere.

for the jet doctors, dont they just make a snorkel for the air to come in an inch or so off the bottom of the air filter base so no dirt gets in the jets
were the idle jets in the first run?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
8nMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some old timers for sure. I've had them for 8 or 10 years and I got them used. The air intake for them is flush with the floor plate where the jet itself screws into. If I cannot get the Jet Doctors to work, I may install a snorkel. Good idea. Of course never getting any sand through the filter would be the best solution.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed them on my 44s about 2 months ago and have yet to have an idle circuit problem.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JEECOMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put them in upside down?

I just re-read your post. Did you replace the idle jets with the jet doctor parts? What lead plug did you jet drill out?

The jet doctors go in the top of the carb. You don't mess with the idle jets or any drilling Confused
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to drill your linkage bases and cleaner bases though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73stroker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on my 44 webers. Not sure if the install is different for Dells then Webers. But all I had to do is drill two holes in the bases, lift the carb top plate and slide the jet doctors in. Didn't remove or replace the idle jets with the jet doctors at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Dells I had problems, it may have been the lead balls were not seated correctly. I did a good smash job on them then put a drop of sealant on each smashed ball.

I had my mixture and jetting adusted so perfectly that I had to increase one size up on the idle jets with the doctors. I guess the extra length give the jet less are so by going to the larger size it got better??

+ The car now runs perfectly.

On the Dell no holes had to be drilled to fit the doctor Snorkels.

Now they work perfectly.

Something is wrong if that is happening.

JOe
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Jet Doctor . . . What the . . . ? Reply with quote

8nMan wrote:
I fired up my 2276 last night for the cam break in. The motor is on my sand rail. I installed the Jet Doctors on my dual Delortos before I fired it. It started ok but ran a little ragged. Not smooth at all. I looked back to see fuel being spurted out the jet doctors. It would spurt out every time the corresponding barrel fired. I shut it down immediately, of course. No one likes raining gasoline over a warm motor. No air cleaners on at this point. I jet drilled out the lead shot plugs and re-installed the stock idle jets. It started and ran smooth after that with no fule spray anywhere.

So, has anyone else experienced this? I thought these were supposed to solve potential problems with clogged jets by keeping sand particles out. I can see how that is done if you back flush them constantly.

Cam is an FK-8 using 1.4 Auotcraft rockers. Set loose (.004) for the cam run in. RPM's held to 1500-1600.

I'm having a similar problem on my 2240 motor with a single dellorto. It runs good up in the rpm's but pops alot out of the exhaust at idle, like it has too much un burnt gas... Not sure what to... Adjusting the mixture doesn't help all too much.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas is falling out of suspension. Do you have any heat to the intake manifold at all. You'll never get it to run right without heat. The real solution is to add another Dell Wink
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran good before the jet doctors, actually when I first put the jet doctors in it seemed to run ok, could possibly be something else with the carb... The jet doctors have only been in there for a few runs though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: