Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD Things (Trekkers)
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: RHD Things (Trekkers) Reply with quote

I notice there is a very nice looking RHD Thing (Trekker) in Classifieds from Oz. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=380671
No mileage is listed, but by the looks of the vehicle, it would appear to be pretty low. Look at the engine compartment pic.

The seller's address is in Greystanes, a western burb of Sydney.
Check out the seller's web site: http://www.vicsbahn.com/homePage.htm
It's the most amazing display of varied VW parts I think I've ever seen posted anywhere on the net for a business web site. Click around and note the organized precision of the inventory. Pretty impressive. Sure would be fun to nose around this place.

Asking price for this RHD is $15,900 US. That seems a bit high to me. Given it would likely take a couple of grand to get it shipped to a western US port....you'd be looking at about an $18,000 stock vehicle. Although it is very nice and undoubtedly rather unique in being a RHD, especially if imported to the US, I think that probably prices it out of the US marketplace. But then again, it only takes one interested buyer with the money to have a sale.
The more I look around Aussie sites and read, the more I'm blown away by the level of VW restoration activity and enthusiasts there.
We really don't hear or read about that too much here in the US, but it's much bigger than you would imagine.

I've looked for RHD production numbers, but had little luck finding anything. Samba lists total 181 production at 90,785 for both Germany and Mexico. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/prodfigurest1base.php
The numbers for RHD Trekkers have to be pretty low, I would think.
Any of our UK or European members have any info on RHD production numbers, and the value of RHD's relative to LHD models of comparable condition? What are RHD's selling for in the UK? Any recent sale comparisons anyone can make or know about?

Any one know of any RHD's in the US?

ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right hand drives are type 182s. This statement is from the "Type 181 facts and figures". "In May 1997 the 181/182 Register listed 51 type 182s, 45 of which are 74/75 Trekkers and the rest being of various ages/origins"
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing the type number out to me....I knew that, but momentarily forgot that info.

There's some more info at the Australian 181/182 (THING) REGISTER edited by Bill Moore (aka countrybuggybill), also.
http://members.netro.com.au/~vwcc/cbreg.htm
See the bottom of the web page below the Country Buggy register.
Bill list six 182's, two of which are military models.
Four of the six are of German manufacture, and interestingly enough, two were manufactured in Mexico.

I hope some of the UK and Oz guys chime in here.
We still don't have a handle on total production numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Things (Trekkers) Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Anyone know of any RHD's in the US?

Hello

There were 2 VW Type 182 at the VW Classic.

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1345

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1344

I think that this one (very nice) belongs to Don E. (a member of the Pacific Northwest Thing Association).

http://www.181spirit.com/portail_phpBB/index.php?p...ic_id=1336

I think that this Type 182 belongs to someone who lives in the Oakland area.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
www.181spirit.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Bob & PJ,
What are your opinions of the asking price of the 182 in the ad?
Given their apparent rarity, and what appears to be the good condition of this example, is this a fair asking price, or is this vehicle overvalued?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RHD's in general are overvalued here. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Space Ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I live in London, England, and can tell you that the right hand drive thing was called a TREKKER and was model number 182.

I have read that there were approximately 300 RHD 182's manufactured.

This webpage has some info on 182's (and 181's too!):

http://members.aol.com/mongozox/data.html

See ya!
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen this listing and my personal opinion was that it was overpriced. The photo of the dash indicates that it is not in as cherry a condition as the other photos might appear. As you mentioned, transportation would really put it over the top for me. Also, sometimes you can read "rare" as "hard to get parts for".
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few 182s over here still clunking along... i've got a couple of rhd runners and another rhd project in pieces. They're getting rarer over here as the acid rain slowly chews through those flimsy VW panels. A number of companies in Europe are now pressing out panels (me included) so a few more ought to make it back on the road at least Wink

Just got to get those bloody front wings sorted for a decent price and we'll all be laughing...
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
A number of companies in Europe are now pressing out panels (me included).

Which panels?

Mark
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist,
Yeah......I'm with Mark......tell us more.
In fact, tell us all you know on this subject.
ztnoo
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of money/time/marraige on getting inner and outer sills (rockers) copied from NOS panels and pressed in Poland. I'm now having a go at front and rear inner wings, and nose panel but not sure if my bank Manager will keep at it! Do have a mate working on both front wings (fenders) but at the moment they are two piece until we can get the pressings made for a good price...

J.P Group (Denmark) are peddling inner and outer sills - the ones on the samba classifieds - and are being sold by a few places your side. I bought a couple and they're a lot thinner gauge than OE parts but they're cheap so great Wink
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
Do have a mate working on both front wings (fenders) but at the moment they are two piece until we can get the pressings made for a good price...

Hello

Let us know about the front fenders.
I'm sure that there is a market at least here in Europe for steel fenders.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA, France
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Panelwagen
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping is not as expensive as you think it may be from Oz.But the A-hole selling the car will tell you its $2k.It costs about $3k max to ship a 40 foot container from Oz and that fits 3 cars.He will drop the price big time.He is always hurting for money and always overprices to see what idiot will fall for the game.Offer him $15k shipped to the US and i can almost guarantee he will bite.To be honest with you,,he offered me the Thing for $10k a couple of months ago plus shipping.Wont rip you off but dont plan on doing business with him.He is one of the most money hungry pieces of shit around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: