Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Motor Maintenance
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyA181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Wiper Motor Maintenance Reply with quote

Hello:

My wiper motor works but makes a lot of noise. has anyone taken theirs apart and given it the once over? How about putting grease or oil on the bearings? Can you replace the brushes? There is an electric motor rebuilding place here in town that I had rebuild my spa motor, perhaps I should drop off the wiper motor. Anyone else done the same thing? Any tricks?
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Al Capulco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=241037
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may need to rebuild it. The shafts on both sides should be greased with a good marine wheel bearing grease every 2 years or so, depending on what kind of wheather you drive in. Also the shaft seals should be checked and changed ( 3 bucks a pair) so that you don't get water inside the shaft bushing and rust them all up. This will smoke the motor for sure. Parts are difficult to find. The motor itself can be a real pain to repair, and seldom ever get put back togather right. It is very easy to loose the ting parts and hard to remember how they go back. The wiper motor can be a real challenge. I do rebuild them, so PM me if you would like to have it done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: wiper parts Reply with quote

Do you sell the cut gaskets?

I just did a picture to make it easier, i dont know the technical terms for each of the parts

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/FreakCitySF/wiper.jpg

I'm looking for the outside wiring cover, anything less than 30.00 if you have them. (#1 )

Also the rubber gasket that goes under the wiper motor cover. ( #2 )

As well as the waxpaper gasket inside the motor. (#3)

Also the wiper arm/rod, the teeth on mine are a little work, do you have any of those in pretty good shape? ( #4)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/FreakCitySF/wiper.jpg
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubalmann rebuilds these I believe. PM him or he may pipe in on this thread to offer assistance.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm me and I'll try to hook you up. Sounds like your up to your elbows in a little wiper motor maintenance.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record "Al Capulco" and 'Kubelmann" are friends and both repair/recondition/rebuild Thing wiper motors. Take my friendly advise and contact either or us to solve your wiper motor troubles. Neither of us do this as our "day job" We do it rather than attend "self help" sessions, hire a therapist or go into rehab..... Both of us love to make broken stuff work.

Life is not a problem to solve rather a wonder to behold..
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
For the record "Al Capulco" and 'Kubelmann" are friends and both repair/recondition/rebuild Thing wiper motors. Take my friendly advise and contact either or us to solve your wiper motor troubles. Neither of us do this as our "day job" We do it rather than attend "self help" sessions, hire a therapist or go into rehab..... Both of us love to make broken stuff work.

Life is not a problem to solve rather a wonder to behold..

Kubelmann.....do you often refer to yourself in the 3rd person?
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could draw up the gaskets so i could transfer them to gasket material and cut my own. My orignals are gone.

chris
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt didn't you notice I shifted from 3rd person to first person plural. It was intended as a literary devise. Chris, I can make wiper motor gasket templates... pmail me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: