Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56vw questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: 56vw questions Reply with quote

Wazzzzzzzzzzzup everyone

Let me introduce my self a lil. well ever since i was a kid i loved the vw's pretty much every model, and i couldnt have one for obvious reasons but now i have my own 56vw that i bougth last year but is been sitting there same place from the date i bought it Brick wall . Why you migth ask well lack of time, little money, and well a good place to really work on it, also not because i like them so much i know about them, i really dont know much about them Sad but i do know what i want and how i want it.
Well now that you know alil bit about it well i would like to restore the car completely from bottom to top and i'm not sure where to start, well actually i already started a lil, lol by sanding it from the inside.. My idea was to sanded completely from the inside after finishing do the outside and take everything apart then take it with someone that knows vw body work to fix dents rust and stuff like that and painted too. But i also want to keep this car as original as i can by getting original 56 parts, so here goes some of my questions how or who could tell me whats original on my car do they have any written, symbol or something to really know that is original and year 1956? Another thing is that is a ragtop which i think someone made it like that by cutting the top to make it ragtop and also putting the wholes for the semaphores, I also wanted to keep it as an everyday driver and i was wondering if i should try finding an original 56 engine or find a new fast engine. i hope i'm not to confused on what i'm asking sorry but kind of sleepy here writting this,lol anyways you'll probably hear from me again soon to.

Thanx for your time, i'll appreciate any suggestions, comments, advises, etc ty.

:snipersmile: skitz
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I think since you're starting from scratch you might want to begin by looking through all the forums here. There's a ton of questions that have been asked over and over, and if you use the search function you'll find most of your answers that way.

Also check out the club listings under Community to see if there's one in your area that you can visit. There's also a website I like a lot for starting out and that's the Bug Shop; the link is http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4000/

Good luck and have fun!!
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a suggestion so take it as that.
If the car is fairly complete I would try to get it running and tinker with it and learn your way around it while driving it for a while before you tear it down and dive into a full restoration. Restorations take time, $$ and a place to do it which you said you don't have. When I bought my 56 i already knew quite a bit about buses but never owned a beetle. However they arn't much different. I got it road worthy which was a task in it self since it was stripped and had no wiring. I drove it for 3 years before starting the body off resto. In that time I did little things here and there to learn more about it and decide what I wanted to do. I still haven't finished it but I have a huge garage where it sits dry.
Like I said just a suggestion

Welcome to Samba. If you have any questions, there are lots of folks to help who have been there, done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakedaniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one 56 owner to another, WELCOME! Glad to hear theres another oval out there. Now, what makes you think that the ragtop and semaphores aren't original. I've got a US spec, but euro spec cars still have semaphores on them. Post some pics of your car and we'll be able to give you a much more informed answer to your questions. You can check out pics of my car in the gallery
Permanently banned from the Brawl-Hall, THREE TIMES!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot guys for the suggestions, i'll try to post some pics of the car so you guys can see it better, I also need the seats and deck lid, I found the seats here at the samba classifieds under General Parts page 2, og german bumpers page 7 and under type 1/bug the deck lid also on page 2, the seats are a nice green for 400 i think and the deck lid for 420 can you guys help me decide if there worth buying ty....
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly ZI would never buy used or repop steel. Its usually just no good. I ended up going to Creative Car Craft for fiberglass repo's, and they are perfect!! I also would put a stock 1600 DP if I could. I do agree that I would get it running and driving first, then restore it. Also that will give you more time to learn and see what you like and what you dont, and to collect the parts you want/need. The Samba has been an invaluable place for information for me. I could have never done my bug without it.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't put any fiberglass on or in my car. It is cheaper though. Sounds steep on a deck lid. I have seen them for $200-250. You can get one cheaper if you shop around or check at VW shows. Seat I am not sure on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about glass being cheaper....I gave almost $600 for 4 fenders and the exhaust cutout cover, by the time had them shiped. They are a perfect fit, very strong, have no holes, are lighter, and will never rust. I dont see any reason not to use them.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is a preference issue. I am a metal guy. I love working with metal. Welding, machining, fabbing... all of it, so I look at rust in a different way than I used to. A rusted out floor is not as intimidating now. It is different when you don't have the tools or know how though. I have been there.
$600 for fenders? Ouch. Your right. They are not cheap. You can get clean OG ones for cheaper.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200309051050291313

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200312051814327919
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean being a metal guy. I am too. I have been a metal fabricator for about 13 years now for a living (just started as an electrician a few months ago to learn somthing new) Makes a huge difference having the right tools, and not being afraid to jump in and do it.
It was a little expencive for the glass, but if you look at getting the metal and then the time, tools and know how to fix it, glass was probobly cheaper in the long run. At the time, I didnt know about the Samba and couldnt find OG stuff around here. The glass was scary for me....never worked with it before. Its actually easyer to work with than steel. For me lots of the cost is in shipping. I wish I would have bought glass hood and deck lid too. I spent lots of hours getting my dented up decklid straight (or should I say curved) I would be curious as to the weight savings if you had glass hood, decklid, fenders, and doors (that are a race only thing I think). Might be able to save a couple hundred lbs., that would translate to a faster and quicker car.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the car mechanically sound and drive it get more kinks worked out then start your restoration. Pick up parts along the way.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
skitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for all the help guys, so should i buy the deck lid and seats i meant they seem to be from a 56 the seats green which i'm planning to keep the car also green (i got it green primer) and well the deck lid seems perfect , used but no dents, rust bondo or anything like that , exept for the prices, and for the engine the one that came with the car , well i only know is a double carburator, i took it to a mechanic he got it running but he told me that is not really good for an everyday drive, and i also heard not sure if he told me or someone else that it was to fast for it, then months later i call him again and asked him if he could get me an everyday running engine he told me yes, that we would trade engines plus some money and he'll take it out and install the other one in, what do you guys think about that, i also have to install the electrical harness, that i already have but dont have a clue where to start Brick wall ttygl

thanx

:2gunfire: skitz
skitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the site from the deck lid and seats

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200312130932342575

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200312121331238114

pls let me know if i should ty

skitz
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion on the decklid is that the price is a bit high. i've seen them listed in the classifieds for between $200 - $350.

the seats are in the uk. shipping might be a bit much depending on where you live. you could probably find some cheaper.

keep searching the classifieds on this site daily. there is also a parts wanted classifieds you can post in. also go to as many swapmeets as you can. even check your local auto/parts trader.

it can get awfully expensive awfully quickly to restore a vw. not having a dry place to park it also is a PITA. when you start dissasembly you will be amazed at how much extra room is needed to store parts.

if you are still learning about the car and the workings of it, the advice the others gave is good advice for you. work on getting it running. drive it and start taking care of every problem that occurs. buy some manuals and parts catalogues and learn as much as you can about every little thing. the samba and the forums are a wealth of information, and alot of the people here will be able to help you out.

i would be a little wary of that mechanic you've been talking to. saying one thing and then changing his opinion on things. he may just be out to make a quick buck. but i dont know the full situation, so i cannot pass judgement. find out what kind of carbs you have on there and try and find out if it is the og engine.

post some pics of your ride and we'll try and tell you what parts are correct and what arent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: