Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where are my cooling flaps?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Where are my cooling flaps? Reply with quote

After a cold spell last week, I realized that I really need the cooling flaps to operate. The thermostat on my 1600 engine is definitely missing. But I can't see if the flaps are still installed inside the fan shroud. Is there anyway to see if the flaps are still there without dropping the engine or otherwise disassembling the vehicle?
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flaps are mounted at the bottom on either side of the shroud.
Each is held in place by four cheesehead screws, two on the front of the shroud, two in the back side.
Look for the screws first, then try to reach around behind the shroud and see if you can feel the linkage which is a long flat bar which extends across the back side of the shroud from the No. 1 & 2 cylinders to No. 3 & 4 cylinders.
The linkage attaches to pivot arms which are part of each flap assembly which goes up into the shroud on each side.
If you are missing the linkage and can't feel any lever arms protruding from the back side of the shroud, you can be 99.99% sure you have no flaps.
They are critcal to proper warm up in colder enviornments.
Even if all this is in place, if the flaps are stuck or rusted open, its almost like having no flaps because cold air will pass immediately from the shroud over the cylinders, thereby delaying warm up.
Here are some pics from the Gallery to illustrate all the parts:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps a little.
ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked and I haven't any cooling flaps. I haven't any cooling flap hardware either. In fact, there is no cooling flap remains at all! So now I'm searching for the entire cooling flap assembly, like pictured above.

I think I read it elsewhere, but you have to drop the engine to remove the fan shroud, correct?
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are important to have for TWO reasons: When the engine is cold, the thermostat is compressed, and the internal flaps direct no air to the cylinders. However, when the engine is warm, the flaps would direct critical air to the cylinders to keep them cool. That is why there is a spring (see pictures posted by ztnoo). The spring insures that if there is a thermostat failure, such as the rod falls off or is missing, the flaps would always be open and directing the critical air to the cylinders. This would hinder warmup, but would keep the cylinders from overheating. Some think they can second guess the VW engineers and remove this; I disagree and strongly suggest they remain installed.

If it were my 1600 engine, I'd locate these parts and install them along with a good thermostat. This way you are insured of a faster warmup, and that the flaps will direct fan box air towards the cylinders when the thermostat opens.

Here is a link to purchase the thermostat (hardest part to locate usually):

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=111119159AGR

The other parts should be avaialble in some VW salvage yards.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connecting link in the pic ztnoo posted is for non-doghouse shrouds. Here's the setup you need:

Here's where you can get the parts you need:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=388961
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: