Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Bushing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Shift Bushing Reply with quote

I had a general inspection done and they found a few things i need to work on.

Besides the long over due tune up, oil change

My brakes are going need replacing soon ( I never bothered to adjust the brakes so it wore down prematurely , im still learning here! )

Has a pretty good oil leak, engine cooler gaskets would be a good start .

Voltage Regulator was dying as suspected.

I can do all of these but I dont know how to replace the shifter bushing

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=111701259A

How do i do that?

Thanks everyone for helping in my previous questions.

You are really doing me a huge favor!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume it's the same as a Beetle.

http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/bushing_replace.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift rod bushing replacement is best completed as a two person job. At the far end of the shift rod there is a notch if you put the new shift bushing in the notch you can snap it in place into the shift rod bracket much more easily that if you try anything else. My son and I have replaced so many of these that (given a good working area) we can do the complete replacement including cleaning and regreasing the rod in under 30 minutes. BUT, I can still remember my first time trying to do it alone and after many hours and attempts broke down and went to get another person and then had it done in a bit over an hour. Clipping the bushing into the bracket can be a challenge unless you follow my suggestiona above. Chris, Feel free to pmail me if you need further tips on the bushing replacement. This is a maintenance job that after 30 plus years makes a huge difference and usually restores at least one gear to perfect shifting and usually more. Remember to carefully mark where you shift lever mounting bracket was postioned prior to removal. I do this with duct tape. This will give you a starting point when you bolt it back down. You will still probably need to do some fine tuning adjustments to get it to shift like "butter" K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubelmann,

Are you suggesting that you put the bushing and wire clip onto the end of the shift rod at the notch and then put the entire shift rod and bushing into the tunned and push it into the bracket? This would save a lot of time it it works. Just did this job this past weekend and although it does not take too long it is messy and the lack of access inside the tunnel sometimes makes my fingers cramp! I did it the other way by putting the bushing and clip into the bracket and lubing up the rod and having a helper push from the front while I guided it though the bushing/bracket. It tasks a good push to get it through though. I also read some suggestions where someone said tie a string to the end of the shift rod before removing so that it is easier to align with the bushing when replacing.
Cal Dez Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the string method and I actually was able to guide the rod better.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must install the bushing and wire clip into the bracket before pushing the shift rod into it. It is not possible to first install the bushing on the shift rod then get the bushing into the bracket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: