Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear trailing/diagonal arm removal
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fasth2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Rear trailing/diagonal arm removal Reply with quote

What size is the hex wrench for the rear diagonal arm? I came up with 16mm does this sound correct? Going to powder coat all the chassis and suspension parts after I put the new pans in tomorrow.

Thanks
MC
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 17 - the same size as the allen to drain the transmission fluid.

I gave up on getting out my diagonal arms, I couldn't break the divot left by the factory to keep that pin from backing out - broke 2 tools instead. Let me know if you've got any tricks for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fasth2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I had a friend of mine that is a machinist cut off a small piece of 3/4 hex stock, he then turn one end down to 17mm. I put a 3/4 wrench with a 4 ft cheater bar on it and it turned like butter.

Now to find those bushing somewhere.

MC
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
It's a 17 - the same size as the allen to drain the transmission fluid.

I gave up on getting out my diagonal arms, I couldn't break the divot left by the factory to keep that pin from backing out - broke 2 tools instead. Let me know if you've got any tricks for that.

Ian, were you using the cheapo 17mm hex with 3/8" drive that most VW shops have? If so, that is the problem. You need a 17mm hex on 1/2" drive. I was able to break mine free with the above mentioned tool on a 2-3' breaker bar. I broke one of the 3/8" drive ones and moved on from there. I think I got the 1/2" drive one in a set of 3, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm at Vato Zone(AutoZone), wasnt too expensive either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17mm, 3/8" hex was the first one I broke, then a friend loaned me his hardened 17mm tool that has a 19mm hex connection. I put my 19mm box wrench on it, then wedged the box wrench under the arm itself to use it as a cheater... the 19mm connection on the tool rounded. Now I'm buying a replacement tool for my friend.

Maybe I'll get my neighbor to weld something to that broken tool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak 'em in "PB Blaster", overnight. Then give the head a good wack or two with a large hammer (to break the crud loose).

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: