Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cargo Area vs Bottom Seat Cushion
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Cargo Area vs Bottom Seat Cushion Reply with quote

The bottom seat cushion on my Thing is attached to a piece of plywood. I noticed that the original cushions are soft on both sides and actually conform to the curve of the seat frame. Mine with the wood, sits flat on the frame. This is fine except when I fold the seats down. In order for the seat backs to sit level, I have to remove the bottom cushion. Does this happen with the original cushion, or has mine been "over-stuffed"?
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overstuffed is my guess. On my 71 Military, the bottom cushion has no wood; it's a "stuffed" butt pad that does not even cover the width of the rear seat frame!

I guess the "bad soldiers" had to sit back there. It beat walking I suppose.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign - have you still got the rifle butt clamps each side of your rear site? That's why the pad is a shorter width (though you probably know that already!)

If you're missing them i have all the correct military rifle mounts.

Cheers Mik
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
Woreign - have you still got the rifle butt clamps each side of your rear site? That's why the pad is a shorter width (though you probably know that already!)

Cheers Mik

I think Woreign's is a U.S. spec (73 or 74) issue. They did not have the gun racks. I could be wrong though, maybe he bought a military that was imported?

Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cargo Area vs Bottom Seat Cushion Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
The bottom seat cushion on my Thing is attached to a piece of plywood. I noticed that the original cushions are soft on both sides and actually conform to the curve of the seat frame. Mine with the wood, sits flat on the frame. This is fine except when I fold the seats down. In order for the seat backs to sit level, I have to remove the bottom cushion. Does this happen with the original cushion, or has mine been "over-stuffed"?

Mine is the exact same way - but since my back cusions are also on boards and velcro'd on, I remove those to put the seat down. With the original cushions you do not have to remove anything to fold the seats down - it all fits.

I'll be going back to stock soon; I'm getting tired of my rear seat funkiness and my wife got me a new set of rear seat vinyl for my birthday last year Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a problem... The cushion will fit vertically in the space in front of the seat frame and behind the front seats. Both bottom and back cushions are in great condition, so I'm in no rush to change them. I was just curious how the seats were to fold down.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wood on the bottom of mine, and the seats fold down just fine. The cushion, as I recall, fits the opening perfectly. Of course, it's not original - had custom seat covers stiched up by The Thing Shop about 12 years ago.
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think the wood would be a problem. Don't the seat backs rise up when you unlatch them, and you bring up the bent bar from the front of the bottoms to support the front of the seat backs. This makes the cargo area smooth and level.
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
cubist wrote:

Cheers Mik

I think Woreign's is a U.S. spec (73 or 74) issue. They did not have the gun racks. I could be wrong though, maybe he bought a military that was imported?

Yes sorry Bucko I meant yours didn't I? Do you have all the military bits and bobs?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gus111 wrote:
I wouldn't think the wood would be a problem. Don't the seat backs rise up when you unlatch them, and you bring up the bent bar from the front of the bottoms to support the front of the seat backs. This makes the cargo area smooth and level.

Yeah, I have to fiddle with it to unlatch the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the military things, do they have the springs under the cushion like the civilian 181's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same Wink
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
bucko wrote:
cubist wrote:

Cheers Mik

Yes sorry Bucko I meant yours didn't I? Do you have all the military bits and bobs?

Yep. I have all the radio equipment (battery box, radio, speaker, handset, antenea, 24 volt alternator, military blackout lights, military siren (parade light and "we-wa" horns), all the covers, all the extras.

Took a long time to collect, and have to offer thanks to many on this site to get it at that point.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: