Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do these go?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Where do these go? Reply with quote

I saw these online and wondered where they install? I just cleaned and repainted all my engine tin, and I don't have anything that looks like these:

http://www.bughaus.com/Cool_Tin_-_25076.htm

http://www.bughaus.com/air_deflector_tin_-_043119317B.htm
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The go under the push rod tubes to replace the OE piece. They are not OE.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen the first link's tin from SCAT.

However, the bottom link for deflectors is supposed to be VERY important for cooling the engine by distributing fan-driven air around the bottom of the cylinders. They were highlighted in the BugMe video on rebuilds. They were on my old stock engine and on my new Serrano-built engine. They go from the bottom centered beneath the cylinders (one on each side) and snap in attaching to the long cylinder/head studs.

Mark
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where do these go? Reply with quote

The "cool tin" pieces were OE on Type 3s. There has been some debate as to whether they help or hurt the cooling process on upright type 1 engines.

Jake Raby chimed in on the issue in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144092&highlight=tin%2A

Money quote:

Jake Raby wrote:
There are a TON of variables with this and the results that are found with various tins..

First of all the cylinder heads that are used will impact the results as well as the cooling system that is used. I found that with some cooling systems using the TIII tins (A.K.A.Super cool tins) increased the INEFFICIENCY os some of the better cooling systems.. Then some of the cooling systems that sucked the worst did a tad better with the TIII tins or saw no impact from them.

I measured head/cylinder temps from 3 different head/cylinder locations on all 4 cylinders simultaneously. The results pointed toward the fact that the stock TI tins worked much better as a general rule than the TIII tins. The TIII tins also increased HP draw from the fan by a couple % and lowered the point where the HP draw became apparent by as much as 750 RPM.

This is why I recommend TI tins, but as I said results may vary due to all the variations of TI cylinder heads, cooling systems and etc.

And here's some more info from http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jan2.htm

Quote:
Most of the folks reading this article have seen "Super cool tin" glorified in publications, advertisements and the like. This "Super cool tin" was originally used by VW on the PANCAKE (non upright) Type III engine. Its primary goal was to enhance the air that was being made by the Type III cooling fan, and to better route it around the cylinders. Since the air was made by the Type III system horizontally, instead of vertically like a Type I engine this was a great idea. If the tin was not there, all the air would simply blow over the cylinders and out the back of the shroud doing little if any cooling at all. The back pressure from the more "shrouded" lower tin made the air look for escape routes and in doing so it helped to dissipate heat. VW ONLY USED THIS TIN ON THE Type III ENGINE, it was NEVER used by the factory for a Type I engine with an upright cooling system, or on the 1971 and earlier Type II engine, which was the hottest running engines in the entire VW line up! Why??? Here's the answer...

The engineers at VW knew that it was not needed for the upright engines, and could hamper the cooling. The upright engine did not need the back pressure and resistance of the "Super cool tin" as its air was being forced DOWN directly over the cylinders, not horizontally like the Type III engine. If VW would have thought this tin would help keep upright engines alive they would have installed it on their hottest running heaviest load engine, wouldn't you think?? That engine was the Type II engine and it never incorporated the"Super cool tin". I have done tests to prove that VW was correct and that the best tin for the upright engine is the stock cylinder deflectors. I once heard a story (from a very competent source) that in the mid seventies right after the Type II had been removed from the VW line up that a prominent player in the VW aftermarket world bought all the remaining Type III tin that was left over from the factory. This tin was sold for basically pennies because VW had no use for it. The source got the tin, made up a marketing ploy and called it "Super cool tin" and the name stuck. They made good money off of it for sure, and unless people really think hard and test the idea actually seems correct, but I have found otherwise........

Basically the air cannot escape the engine fast enough and the shrouding creates more resistance to the air than directional positioning.

Moral of this story. There is more to cooling than what meets the eye. Sit down and use your own mind when you are designing your engine, and just because something is advertised doesn't mean its written in stone. If you have the tin on your current engine, don't be alarmed, it won't absolutely kill the engine, but it will create some inefficiencies.

ETA the SuperBeetles.Com quote
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: