Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo swap - help!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Speedo swap - help! Reply with quote

alright i got a speedo out of a 1960 beetle and putting it in the 73' thing. my question was what are the two things i circled? and how would that hook up to the 1960 gauge?? also what illuminates the face of the 1960 gauge?? is it an internal light?? thanks for any help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't you be loosing the gas gauge with this swap? The 60 Beetle had the gauge on the dash and not in the speedo.

Not sure about the other screws, but why don't you look for a newer combo to swap with?
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome idea, but what are you doing for fuel gauge etc? the 68 speedo is the best remedy.. it bolts right up and has the old look, with the gas gauge..

just an fyi..

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! NOPE! i already swapped the gas gauge im going w/ an external mechanical gauge.. enough of that electric gauge. heres a pic of my friends..

anyways so nobody knows what those things are? and how to illuminate the 60' speedp?? THANKS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small bolt you circled is to attach the voltage regulator (for the fuel guage) and the flat spade is a gound attachement. It also looks like the hole at the top of the 60 speedo is for the illumination bulb, but it looks to be blocked...

Why are you swapping out the speedo? If it's because of the odometer not working, that an easy fix! You can buy a replacement gear for around $25.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
The small bolt you circled is to attach the voltage regulator (for the fuel guage) and the flat spade is a gound attachement. It also looks like the hole at the top of the 60 speedo is for the illumination bulb, but it looks to be blocked...

Why are you swapping out the speedo? If it's because of the odometer not working, that an easy fix! You can buy a replacement gear for around $25.

THANKS!!! so i wont need either of those things??? yea i thought it was the illumination tube but its for the high beam.. i shined a flash light and saw nothing to light it up??..

i like the look of the earlier model speedos and i wanted a mechanical gas gauge.. so i get the best of both worlds.. KEEP THOSE COMMENTS and ANSWER COMING! THANKS
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surferdudedav wrote:
HAHA! NOPE! i already swapped the gas gauge im going w/ an external mechanical gauge.. enough of that electric gauge. heres a pic of my friends..

anyways so nobody knows what those things are? and how to illuminate the 60' speedp?? THANKS

That swap looks pretty cool.
BrianHulud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the illumination light spot is at the VERY top of it...above the highbeam tube...
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianHulud wrote:
the illumination light spot is at the VERY top of it...above the highbeam tube...

ALRIGHTY!!! THHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! NOW, i got more questions.. haha. i hooked it all up and the backround light is very dull i adjusted it at the head light knob but it didnt get much brighter.. any way to get it brighter? also, the turn signal, whenever i hit it no matter which direction it blinks on the speedo once then turns off but the turn signals on the outside of the car work just fine.. its not major problem but quite annoying.. thanks!
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the swap, man. The older gauges looked so much cooler, and since I'm going to a pre-'67 style tank in mine, I'll have to figure out what to do with the fuel gauge as well.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could replace the bulb with super brite LEDs.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my indicator light. It turned out to be the relay and a dirty/loose wire. You can pop the cover off of the relay and clean out the 30+ years of dust, and make sure the terminals and wire connections are secure.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
I had the same problem with my indicator light. It turned out to be the relay and a dirty/loose wire. You can pop the cover off of the relay and clean out the 30+ years of dust, and make sure the terminals and wire connections are secure.

i put new terminals and conections on last night. ill try the bulb and also.. whgere exactly is the relay? thanks
alexanderofyork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Interestingly familiar Reply with quote

I am just thinking of doing the same thing. Short version of my story is that since I have an electronics background I set out to figure out why my gas gauge went out for the 2nd time and to engineer a modern solution. As it turns out, that little screw in the first picture is most likely cause of our problems and a more modern solution, if done part way, could send about an amp of current into the gas tank! Now I really like the simple mechanical gauge idea for my '73 Thing also.

The screw is to mount the current regulator and provide the all important ground for almost all the current. If that screw gets loose the normally closed switch inside lets all the current through which causes the wire in the gauge to burn open. Believe it or not that's a good thing for if you were to use a different sort of gauge with out correcting the current regulator ground you could be putting 12 volts across the 75 ohm wire wound resistor that sits inside the gas tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: