Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running 930 CV/ Axle length question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Running 930 CV/ Axle length question Reply with quote

I had custom 1 1/2" longer arms made for my thing so the wheels would sit centered in my wheel wells after raising the rear 2 1/2 ". That worked perfect. With the height where I want it my stock CV's click around corners so today I installed 930"s flanges and axles . Measuring from inside the stub axle cup to inside the trans flange cup with everything parallel I have 17 1/8". Sway A Way makes a 16 1/4 and a 16 3/4 " axle. Does anyone know how much space or gap I need between the two ? I keep hearing 1/2 " but I dont want to cut and groove a brand new axle if I dont have to. My BTR wheels sure got expensive fast. Thanks for any help
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Running 930 CV/ Axle length question Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
I had custom 1 1/2" longer arms made for my thing so the wheels would sit centered in my wheel wells after raising the rear 2 1/2 ". That worked perfect. With the height where I want it my stock CV's click around corners so today I installed 930"s flanges and axles . Measuring from inside the stub axle cup to inside the trans flange cup with everything parallel I have 17 1/8". Sway A Way makes a 16 1/4 and a 16 3/4 " axle. Does anyone know how much space or gap I need between the two ? I keep hearing 1/2 " but I dont want to cut and groove a brand new axle if I dont have to. My BTR wheels sure got expensive fast. Thanks for any help

If I were in your shoes, I would run the 16 3/4" axle. I have 1" longer arms in my Thing and Im running the 16 3/4" axle. I believe this length SAW axle is for a 5/1600 Baja Bug racer with the same arms. 17 1/8 less 1/2(which is what I was told as well) is 16 5/8". Better to be 1/8" long, than 3/8" short. I think too short could cause problems at full droop by pulling the CV apart.

Who made your 1 1/2" longer arms? Given your measurements, they must be stock width. What did they set you back if you dont mind me asking? Id like to go 1.5" longer, and 3" wider on mine vs. the 1" longer I currently have, but that entails new arms, shock mounts, axles, etc. Not looking to tear into it now, so maybe someday in the future.

Did the BTRs get expensive quick by starting the snowball effect? Just wanted the BTRs, then this, then that, etc...
Been there....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Axle Length Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. Larry formally of Suspensions Unlimited made my arms they cost over 600 but I wanted it right. Than came the custom jounce stops .Than I wanted A modified stock look so I plated in the stock shock/body mount and made a shock mount bolt to that using factory holes and bilstiens. Than I had to modify my arms by welding tubes through them because i wanted the stock emergengy brake to work I dont trust line locks in the street. Now after 4 times of taking it apart and readjusting the amount of preload on the torsions I have it right ( I Hope )
Im going to try the 16 3/4 " axles and cycle it again .Whats the worst that can happen . Dont answer that. I sure wish they made the BTR,s with a offset simular to stock instead of the center, it would keep them away from the fenders without spending thousands . I guess the price of Cool has always been expensive. By the way Matt I love your Car

Last edited by surfarii on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
thingpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: thing arms Reply with quote

I installed a body lift on my thing and want to put 3 x ? arms on it..The 3 is the wider dimension but would like to know the dimension of how much longer I need to go to get the tire centered in the wheel well.. you say its 1 1/2 inches?? what I wanted to ask you is I didnt see how you raised your thing? was it a body lift or ?? Also do you know or does anyone know of somebody who makes a full roll cage kit for the thing?? someone said Chenowth made one for under 200.00?? Thanks for the info
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[quote]Thingpilot Wrote I installed a body lift on my thing and want to put 3 x ? arms on it..The 3 is the wider dimension but would like to know the dimension of how much longer I need to go to get the tire centered in the wheel well.. you say its 1 1/2 inches?? what I wanted to ask you is I didnt see how you raised your thing? was it a body lift or ?? Also do you know or does anyone know of somebody who makes a full roll cage kit for the thing?? someone said Chenowth made one for under 200.00??

I raised my thing by re-indexing the torsions to 30 degrees .That was too much for the stock CV"s so I put race preped 930's in to solve that problem. Why do want to run 3" wider arms , Is it for the look or is it for function ? That one change will require many more I just went through it.
I built my own cage so I cant help you there .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: