Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEI Jonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Hey there everyone, I did a search on this topic but I didn't find anything that I could use, I more than likely missed something and I apologize for wasting your time..but I was looking into the roller method of painting, it looks like it would be alot of work, but its cheap and from what I have seen from pictures, if done right, looks really good. has anyone ever done this to their bus before? If so, I have some more questions...
thanks for your time guys/gals
74 std beetle ( not running)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the MOPAR forums a while ago. This may be what you are referring to.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?C...1&vc=1
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roller painted these...nothing show worthy but a vast improvement for about $25 total. RustOleum High Gloss..Home Depot..$7 a quart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one I roller painted to do some movie promo for Little Miss Sunshine...and then went back to the original paint. This was latex Behr exterior high gloss.

[/img]
punkpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mopar site is the one you want to check out.i know at one time the guy who started the post on the mopar site started it on here,but got bashed for doing so.i think they took the thread off of here.i think it is a great idea for a low cost paint job if you do not have the equipment,knowhow,or just do not want or can`t spray.i think a lot of the cars turned out pretty nice.do your reading on the other site and go to town
PEI Jonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback, the mopar site is just what I was looking for, I plan/hope to paint the bus this spring, once again, thanks for not bashing me
74 std beetle ( not running)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great buses!!

and little miss sunshine a great film Very Happy

make me a lot of Laughing Laughing Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be put off by people who say you need to use super expensive paints. As a test I once painted a piece of off road equipment half with standard expensive automotive paint and half with industrial rustoleum. I followed recommended prep for each, meaning the automotive paint got far more prep work. Since this was an industrial paint job neither was buffed out or even waxed so initially the automotive paint looked noticably better, but within two years there was no discernable difference. Neither was painted over for a decade, though the automotive paint was by then stained noticably worse from diesel soot.

90% of a good paint job is the the prep work, don't scrimp there.
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Reply with quote

PEI Jonny wrote:
Hey there everyone, I did a search on this topic but I didn't find anything that I could use, I more than likely missed something and I apologize for wasting your time..but I was looking into the roller method of painting, it looks like it would be alot of work, but its cheap and from what I have seen from pictures, if done right, looks really good. has anyone ever done this to their bus before? If so, I have some more questions...
thanks for your time guys/gals

First off, lots of good paint info in the Samba Paint and Body Forums here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

And this might be the roller thread you're looking for: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159142&highlight=roller+tremclad

Good luck!
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color me old fashioned, but I have a hard time seeing a super cheap paint job unless you just want it a van that looks better from 100' to your neighbors.

Having painted three of VW's myself, I found the old adage that "paint is 90% preparation and 10% application"..........the actual spraying part is fast and easy.

I can see it for a beater because it does look a lot better and costs little. But for any decent van, it really reduces the value because the next guy is going to have a ton of preparation to paint it right if he chooses.

Not knocking the idea.....just my .02

If you really love these cars, try to make them better, not worse!!
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: