Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whats dat box for, electrical, headlight woes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: whats dat box for, electrical, headlight woes Reply with quote

Battle of the headlights for about 8 months now.

Replaced ALL components of the headlights:
- turn signal switch (hi beam)
- headlight relay
- headlight switch
- All new, proper fuses

Next to the headlight relay, in the dash behind where the headlight switch is mounted is this black box. Its about the size of a biscuit block used for the old-style telephone jacks.

What is that box? I have diagrams and some schematics, and cannot figure it out at all.

All wires have continuity and I rang out the ground paths with a meter.
There is power to the fuse box, but no headlights at all.
Running lights are fine as is dash backlight/dimmer.
Signals work fine.

Thanks for any feedback you may have
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your 181? This will help us in identifying that black box.

On my military 181 (1971), I have one in this location that is used for the "parade" horns and blue light. Was your's a military import?
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black box with 4 wires out the bottom is the turn signal flasher relay.

Check the fuses for the headlights. Sometimes one of mine doesnt light, and I wiggle the fuse in the fuse holder, boom, headlight comes on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The black box with 4 wires out the bottom is the turn signal flasher relay.

Check the fuses for the headlights. Sometimes one of mine doesnt light, and I wiggle the fuse in the fuse holder, boom, headlight comes on."

Good point Matt. I had a bus one time that had what appeared as faulty headlights. I spent a good part of a day with a multimeter cheacking for 12 volts from the switch to the headlight bulbs. What I found was that the tip or crown of the fuses were worn off. The fuses looked good, but in fact were not making contact in their holders.

You might want to put all new fuses in the low beam and high beam positions.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went through a one headlight out issue. It turned out to be a ground wire that had broken inside the solderless connector. I took countless hours to track this faulty ground//
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
"The black box with 4 wires out the bottom is the turn signal flasher relay.

Check the fuses for the headlights. Sometimes one of mine doesnt light, and I wiggle the fuse in the fuse holder, boom, headlight comes on."

Good point Matt. I had a bus one time that had what appeared as faulty headlights. I spent a good part of a day with a multimeter cheacking for 12 volts from the switch to the headlight bulbs. What I found was that the tip or crown of the fuses were worn off. The fuses looked good, but in fact were not making contact in their holders.

You might want to put all new fuses in the low beam and high beam positions.

Yeah, I 've had this happen seceral times over the years of VW ownership. I've normally just spun the fuses in the holder to see if that brings them to light. If not, then I look deeper.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've spun fuses to get my brake lights back, my wipers back, my turn signals back. Every year, I pull them all, clean all the contacts and fuse ends, and make sure the retainers are tightly seated. I still have to spin fuses now and again.

I'm thinking of swapping out the fuse box with a box that'll take the blade style fuses:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?par...p;tabset=1

or, if that one uses a common power feed (and thus won't work to replace the old fuse box) then this should do it:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=650092&page=1

$6 or $12. Heck, I'll order them both.

With the blade-style fuse boxes, you can get fuses at any gas station or you could even replace some of them with breakers:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=151&page=1
(only 10 amp and up) .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Yeah, I've spun fuses to get my brake lights back, my wipers back, my turn signals back. Every year, I pull them all, clean all the contacts and fuse ends, and make sure the retainers are tightly seated. I still have to spin fuses now and again.

I'm thinking of swapping out the fuse box with a box that'll take the blade style fuses:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?par...p;tabset=1

or, if that one uses a common power feed (and thus won't work to replace the old fuse box) then this should do it:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=650092&page=1

$6 or $12. Heck, I'll order them both.

With the blade-style fuse boxes, you can get fuses at any gas station or you could even replace some of them with breakers:
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=151&page=1
(only 10 amp and up) .

That first fuse panel you show is similar to what I plan to convert to some day when I get to it. Does delcity.net have one that is 10 fuses wide? I think there are 10 fuses stock. If not, the company LittleFuse has a 10 wide fuse block just like the one you pulled up in the link here. Its a bit more expensive, but its a 10 slot. G. Mondshine did a write up & first unit on this LittleFuse install years ago. Its a clean install since it's the same shape and rough size as the stock one.
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Have you installed either of the fuse boxes? My current fuse block is bent all to heck and spinning/wiggling the fuses has become a standard start-up routine. I was looking to replace with a blade style and wondered if you had any luck.
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of totaly rewiring with something like a painless universal kit it updates everything. A little expensive though but could be worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: